Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Drew Melbourne

Thread: Video: JJ Abrams On Star Wars' Long Shadow Over Star Trek (And Simon Pegg On Keenser)

Administrator

Default Video: JJ Abrams On Star Wars' Long Shadow Over Star Trek (And Simon Pegg On Keenser)

Back at the London press conference for Abrams' first Star Trek, I asked a question of Simon Pegg. It was filmed and broadcast on TV and put online and you can see it here.

After Pegg was done, Abrams took over and addressed some of the other things I said.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeywsqHDVjE[/youtube]

For what it's worth, I'm cool with Keenser. And I liked the Ewoks. Jar Jar? Yeah... maybe not.

I do see a lot of Star Wars in Abrams' Trek, and I don't mean "Snow! Short person!" stuff either, but an approach to the images. Something I should dig into with some screen captures, perhaps.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Is the entire press conference on line? With EVERYONE there (which is always unusual) it would be good to see the whole thing.

Consultant of Cool SuperRobotPilot's Avatar

You know what? I want Karl Urban as the baddest ass Jedi there ever was. The man is a machine of an actor. And Simon Pegg needs to be in the new Star Wars movies too.

But seriously, Karl Urban, Jedi Master, y'all. Tell your friends.

Consultant of Cool

Isn't there a DVD feature on Star Trek that's entitled something like, "Bringing a Star Wars vibe to Star Trek"?

Wrote the Book on Cool

I don't understand the Keenser hate out there.

VP in Charge of Cool Drew Melbourne's Avatar

One of the things that made me fall in love with Star Wars as a kid was the action figures. For the three movies, there were something like 150 action figures. Every minor character had an action figure. All the bounty hunters, most of whom only showed up for one scene and just stood there, had an action figure. And one of the things I loved about the last Star Trek movie were there were all these minor alien characters who were visually interesting, whose bearing and appearance suggested more to them and suggested more about the world. If I was a kid when that movie came out, I would have been desperate for a Keenser action figure, a figure of the weird doctor alien with the giant eyes, etc. For a movie that at times feels very short (it's very direct, A to B to C) it does a great job of suggesting a larger universe.

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpringheelWTC View Post
    Isn't there a DVD feature on Star Trek that's entitled something like, "Bringing a Star Wars vibe to Star Trek"?
    Yeah--I think it was more to do with the lack of made-up jargon, though, not the filming style. Outside of Pegg's Scotty talking about detonating the warp cores near the end, you didn't get a whole lot of talk of dilithium crystals and reversed polarities like on the shows and later movies.