Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Abrams Staying With Star Trek And Mission Impossible Series

Administrator

Default Abrams Staying With Star Trek And Mission Impossible Series

I'm pretty sure that somebody on the Paramount lot punched a wall this week.

It can't be easy for the studio's honchos knowing that the guiding light behind their space movie franchise is about to get busy with his beam elsewhere. And as big a deal and popular as Star Trek might be, Star Wars has it beat right there.

Paramount's Vice Chairman Rob Moore has spoken to The LA Times about JJ Abrams' future with the studio.
    JJ. will continue to develop projects for us including a new Mission: Impossible, and he is committed to produce another Star Trek.
    Simple as that. "Committed."

Now, a producer's role is a nebulous thing, and changes both from film to film and producer to producer, particularly on bigger projects where many hands take hold. What it will mean for Abrams to produce Trek can't be predicted exactly.

And it's worth pointing out that nobody is saying Abrams won't direct the third Trek picture. If you can go from Trek to Wars, surely you can go back again, even hop between them?

It's not like we're talking about shephard's pie and treacle sponge...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eh72REd_s[/youtube]
    Mad_Man_Moon and barbabravo like this.

Why would anybody even expect him to direct more than one Star Wars movie?

I honestly think these franchises would be better off not being married to just one director. Mission: Impossible here has benefited greatly from bringing a fresh vision to each installment. More recently, Bond hit it big with a new director. Would Skyfall have been as successful if they had kept Marc Forster? Or even Martin Campbell? For that matter, I think Dark Knight Rises was terrible, and that franchise should have got someone new for its third installment too.

These people can always come back later, like Nicholas Meyer did on Star Trek previously (or, again, Campbell with Bond).

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post

I honestly think these franchises would be better off not being married to just one director. Mission: Impossible here has benefited greatly from bringing a fresh vision to each installment. More recently, Bond hit it big with a new director. Would Skyfall have been as successful if they had kept Marc Forster? Or even Martin Campbell? For that matter, I think Dark Knight Rises was terrible, and that franchise should have got someone new for its third installment too.
    Liked for saying DKR was terrible!

(I wouldn't argue with the rest of it really either, but I'm slightly sick of fanboys insisting DKR is one of the best films of all time based on Rotten Tomatoes scores.)
    alekesam likes this.

Bleeding Cool

I loved DKR!!! So :p!!!!

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    I loved DKR!!! So :p!!!!
    Ah yes, the proverbial rotten tomato heard from!
    alekesam likes this.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    Dont be a potatoe head! Be a rotten tomato head. I havent seen the score actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    It's not like we're talking about shephard's pie and treacle sponge...
    You got your like for this, BC!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post

These people can always come back later, like Nicholas Meyer did on Star Trek previously (or, again, Campbell with Bond).
    I like how you express your opinion in this post, however I don't totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian Squid View Post
    Assumption called!

Captain Cool

The way the press release is worded, they only expect Abrams to direct Episode VII and they're doing the "different director per movie" formula they did for the original trilogy.
    jackmurphy1969 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast