Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By barbabravo

Thread: JJ Abrams Gets Orders For New Shows - One With Superpowered Girl, One With Robot Cop

Administrator

Default JJ Abrams Gets Orders For New Shows - One With Superpowered Girl, One With Robot Cop

Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool

JJ Abrams has certainly had a pretty good end to the week. You might think he would be clearing up his schedule to focus on getting a galaxy far far away back onto the screen successfully but instead he has got orders for two pilots today.

Deadline are reporting that NBC have ordered a pilot for Believe, an Abrams and Alfonso Cuaron executively produced show. The show was originally penned by Cuaron and Mark Friedman and is:
    about the unlikely relationship between a girl in possession of a great gift/powers ? which will come into their own in seven years ? and the man who is sprung from prison to protect her from those trying to hunt her down.
    The pilot will be directed by Cuaron, so I imagine it is going to be quite a handsome first episode.

But on top of that, EW are reporting that Fox have asked for a pilot of an untitled sci-fi cop show. Abrams will executively produce with J.H Wyman and Bryan Burke.

That one is described as:
    an action-packed buddy cop show, set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids
    It looks like Abrams is going to have his fingers in many pies at once. Although, I wouldn't expect this to hamper any quality on Star Wars. He has always been a bit of a multitasker, and both sound like great premises. Though hopefully they will both be more Fringe than Alcatraz.

The action packed buddy cop thing sounds like it could be based on one of the better strips in DHP, and could be pretty good if done right.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

TGC

he rarely has anything to do with the shows beyond the pilots, so this won't affect him or his movies much at all I suspect

Dean of Cool University

I guess I'm alone, but I liked Alcatraz better than Fringe.

Zen Master of Cool

an action-packed buddy cop show, set in the near future, when all LAPD officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids
    Holmes & Yo-Yo: The Next Generation
    Oh come on! You're going to kill me because I had fake sex on graph paper with a girl who barely spoke to you in real life?!?
    - Dr. Venture, Past Tense, The Venture Brothers

VP in Charge of Cool

He really does have an unfortunate looking nose.
    DarthEwok likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Excited to see how these projects work out

Exceedingly Cool

These TV shows seem more like JJ Abrams presents than his own creations. Kind of like the Quentin Tarantino Presents shows we get from time to time. I realise that JJ may have thought them up and written the start of these but did anyone really think that Lost, Fringe or even Alcatraz were Abrams shows while watching them? So I dont think these will affect Star Wars ep VII or even Star Trek 3 (if there even is one now....with him behind the lens)

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    I guess I'm alone, but I liked Alcatraz better than Fringe.
    Last year I enjoyed Alcatraz much more than the latter half of Fringe's fourth season. But then, I'm one of those odd fans who actually like the reviled first and last seasons of Fringe better than the middle ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thman View Post
    These TV shows seem more like JJ Abrams presents than his own creations. Kind of like the Quentin Tarantino Presents shows we get from time to time. I realise that JJ may have thought them up and written the start of these but did anyone really think that Lost, Fringe or even Alcatraz were Abrams shows while watching them? So I dont think these will affect Star Wars ep VII or even Star Trek 3 (if there even is one now....with him behind the lens)
    Most news websites do love giving Abrams sole credit for all Bad Robot shows, even when he didn't co-create them. I rarely see people calling Person of Interest a Jonathan Nolan show, for instance.
    Last edited by shagamu; 01-26-2013 at 04:49 AM.

dmg
    Way Cool

I hope they're more like Person of Interest than either Fringe or Alcatraz.