Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes

Thread: Star Wars To Be Directed By JJ Abrams, Ben Affleck Was Also In the Running

Administrator

Default Star Wars To Be Directed By JJ Abrams, Ben Affleck Was Also In the Running

The Wrap have ascertained that JJ Abrams will direct a Star Wars film, presumably Episode 7. Ben Affleck was also in the running, they report. This is being echoed by The Hollywood Reporter's Borys Kit, so that's all the confirmation I need, personally.

UPDATE: Deadline have also called it "a done deal."

Somewhere online is some video of Abrams telling me how much he loved Star Wars and why his first Trek film had so many nods to the Lucas' saga hidden away. I'll try to find it, it was a nice little moment.

It's not official yet, but I think we can take this to the bank.

I do wonder how Paramount must be feeling, however. They've had strong ties with Bad Robot and, most of all, trusted Abrams with getting Star Trek back to full health. I guess its very unlikely he'll be directing a third Trek movie now.

And while I'm wondering - how about that possibility of an Affleck-driven Star Wars? That catches my imagination, I have to say.

You won't be able to see a thing on screen through all the lens flare those lightsabers are going to have

TGC

How about the fact that he said he wanted to watch it as a fan and wanted no part in directing the films, full stop, just a month or so ago?

Wrote the Book on Cool gojirast's Avatar

If this is true, and there's no 3rd Trek film, can we haz Trek on the small screen again now please?

Quote Originally Posted by gojirast View Post
    If this is true, and there's no 3rd Trek film, can we haz Trek on the small screen again now please?
    Why would this stop there being a 3rd Trek movie? Paramount will just hire a new director.

...Kids, this is January still. April 1st is over two months away!
    JuanSolo and Clavius like this.
    -------

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    How about the fact that he said he wanted to watch it as a fan and wanted no part in directing the films, full stop, just a month or so ago?
    Yeah, I'm gonna remain skeptical until it's made official because of that very comment you're talking about.

And if it's all true, I probably would have preferred Affleck, because it be interesting to see what he might do with Star Wars. And also, I think I'd like it better if Star Wars and Star Trek weren't driven by the same guy (even if I did enjoy the hell out of the last Star Trek movie).
    Last edited by Anti-Chris; 01-24-2013 at 03:32 PM.

It's done guys. Spielberg pursued him to do it after he had originally said that he wouldn't it seems.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

Okay, I guess it's legit. Oh well. I mean, Abrams should do a good job. Not really sure why I'm so down on him doing both Trek and Star Wars.
    Mad_Man_Moon and twincast like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

This seems like an incredibly disloyal move on behalf of Trek-dom.

I can't put my finger on why, but it really feels that way.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast