Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Changing Your View of Godzilla - Frank Darabont Is Writing Up A New Take On The Monster

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Changing Your View of Godzilla - Frank Darabont Is Writing Up A New Take On The Monster

Adina Miller writes for Bleeding Cool.

Run! It's Godzilla! Well, okay. Maybe not in the exact way you're thinking.

For the most part, that name hasn't been one to strike fear into the hearts of moviegoers. Godzilla has so often been campy, corny, and not terrifying in the slightest. ScreenwriterFrank Darabontand director Gareth Edwardsarelooking to change that.

IO9.com recently had an interview with Darabont. He says:
    [Godzilla]started off definitely as a metaphor for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And some of the atom bomb testing we were doing in the South Pacific in the subsequent years. The giant terrifying force of nature that comes and stomps the shit out of your city, that was Godzilla.
    Hard for me to believe that's what the green lizard started out as. Personally when I hear about Godzilla, I think of black-and-white Japanese movies that are very poorly dubbed, instantly making them more of a comedy than a horror film. But hey, it'll definitely be interesting to see a what Darabont has in store for the overgrown reptile.

Howexactly he's going to reinvent the creature this is a mystery, though he does say:
    We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing.
    As we mentioned previously, Godzilla won't be the only monster wreaking havoc in the movie: two other unknown creatures are set to take the screen with our familiar friend. And keeping true to the fact that Godzilla was originally a metaphor for an act of war, the main character, who has yet to be cast, will be a soldier.

Bits have been leaking, but Darabont is at least trying to keep some of the film secret:
    What we're trying to do with the new movie is not have it camp, not have it be campy. We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film.
    And while the new Godzilla is a new metaphor, Darabont won't say what for, just agreeing that it's a "contemporary issue."

Currently the movie is in pre-production and set to release in 2014.

Brendon's note: I think Adina needs to do a bit of research. She won't find Godzilla so silly after she goes back to the source...

VP in Charge of Cool

Hard for me to believe that’s what the green lizard started out as. Personally when I hear about Godzilla, I think of black-and-white Japanese movies that are very poorly dubbed, instantly making them more of a comedy than a horror film.
    there where only 2 of 28 godzilla films, that where black and white, and the original godzilla is a Dark somber Masterpeice
    NOT the americanized Godzilla King of the monsters with Raymond Bur (which is damn good itself) but the Original cut GOJIRA
    Last edited by irondarkknight; 01-22-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Enigma_2099 and alekesam like this.

Consultant of Cool

I would LOVE to see less an homage to later silly Godzilla films (of which I am a huge fan) and a remake of the original GODZILLA. That film's opening, showing the destruction of the city and the kids being scanned with geiger counters, is so powerful. The rest of the film is great except for the silliness of the bad monster effects.

I'm a little apprehensive, hearing there are supposed to be more monsters in this movie - I love the absurdity of the monster fights in later Godzilla movies, but if they're spending money to make a big budget film, I'd like less of that and more of the "force of nature" stuff Darabont is talking about. Sort of like Cloverfield, only with Godzilla.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
    I would LOVE to see less an homage to later silly Godzilla films (of which I am a huge fan) and a remake of the original GODZILLA. That film's opening, showing the destruction of the city and the kids being scanned with geiger counters, is so powerful. The rest of the film is great except for the silliness of the bad monster effects.

I'm a little apprehensive, hearing there are supposed to be more monsters in this movie - I love the absurdity of the monster fights in later Godzilla movies, but if they're spending money to make a big budget film, I'd like less of that and more of the "force of nature" stuff Darabont is talking about. Sort of like Cloverfield, only with Godzilla.
    dude the 60s and 70s godzilla films sure had silly fights but the 80s-90s-00s where rarley silly, and OMG godzilla vs Biollante had some of the most Brutal Badass monster battles ever.
    and the original godzilla the monster effects where not horrible, there was a Very bad Puppet that was used for close ups, but the main suit, was serviceable.

if you want bad godzilla suits go to Godzilla vs King kong OMG awful

Wrote the Book on Cool Mars Hottentot's Avatar

Oh Adina, I didn't know you were a masochist.

Very Cool

The only view they could change of mine is that Gareth Edwards is a competent and correct choice for this film/series. Darabont is inspiring. I still have little hope. Hopefully elements of the Heisei era films will be looked upon for it's better elements and incorporated. Big budget, spectacular movies in the Godzilla/Gojira series are absolutely possible, with plenty of room for subtext and drama. But I do tire of constantly hearing that Gojira is an underappreciated and classic/wonderful film, this and that. Yes, it's great, but it's had multiple releases on home media touting it's acclaim (including Criterion, which if the entry-level film "geeks" are to be believed is the ONLY way to know if a movie is a classic...).
    That said, I really want this movie to be great, as I love Godzilla and Kaiju dearly; I just know it probably will not meet any positive expectation. I'm a psychic you see...

Quote Originally Posted by irondarkknight View Post
    there where only 2 of 28 godzilla films, that where black and white, and the original godzilla is a Dark somber Masterpeice
    ...Especially if you a) watch the original, Raymond Burr-less version that b) has the little mourning sing-song clipped. To Japanese culture, having a kids' choir singing a dirge may be apropos, but to cultures outside of that area of the world, it's as if you had the Vienna Boys' Choir singing Christnukkah carols and/or Bee Gees hits during scenes of the torture and hardship of the death camps like Andersonville, Work Camp Dora, Auschwicz, Belsen, Jonestown and Pol Pot's killing fields.
    -------

Exceedingly Cool

Hard for me to believe that's what the green lizard started out as. Personally when I hear about Godzilla, I think of black-and-white Japanese movies that are very poorly dubbed, instantly making them more of a comedy than a horror film.
    I have no idea who Adina Miller is and I don't particularly care, but just a heads up: when you're writing something like this and you display this level of brazen ignorance early on, your audience no longer cares about what you have to say. You have demonstrated that you have no authority on what you're talking about and the reader immediately checks out. No one wants to read the ramblings of someone who has no clue on the subject on which they're writing.

Seriously, it's not hard. Wikipedia and Google will give you more than enough information about what the impetus of the original Gojira was. And yes, it absolutely had to do with the fear and anxiety facing post-war, post-atom bomb Japan. We're talking 10 minutes of research, tops. Then if you feel like educating yourself further, you may choose to read about the economic and creative factors that took the series in a different direction.

Make an effort if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise why bother?
    Bangladesh likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

If there is no rubber suit Godzilla and badly dubbed English, I'm passing on this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I have no idea who Adina Miller is and I don't particularly care, but just a heads up: when you're writing something like this and you display this level of brazen ignorance early on, your audience no longer cares about what you have to say. You have demonstrated that you have no authority on what you're talking about and the reader immediately checks out. No one wants to read the ramblings of someone who has no clue on the subject on which they're writing.

Seriously, it's not hard. Wikipedia and Google will give you more than enough information about what the impetus of the original Gojira was. And yes, it absolutely had to do with the fear and anxiety facing post-war, post-atom bomb Japan. We're talking 10 minutes of research, tops. Then if you feel like educating yourself further, you may choose to read about the economic and creative factors that took the series in a different direction.

Make an effort if you want to be taken seriously. Otherwise why bother?
    She was being honest. Refreshing when there's so many pseuds on the web, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast