Thread: Double Dracula Update - Arrow's Jessica De Gouw Cast As TV's Mina, Eli Roth And Russell Crowe's Harker Revving Up

Administrator

Default Double Dracula Update - Arrow's Jessica De Gouw Cast As TV's Mina, Eli Roth And Russell Crowe's Harker Revving Up

Though I didn't see it, I understand that Jessica De Gouw recently appeared in Arrow as Huntress. I guess it's not likely to be a recurring role as The Hollywood Reporter have learned she's now signed up to play Mina on NBC's Dracula show.

That show's take on its bloodsucking Count is to be manifest inJonathan Rhys Meyers, who stands quite close to the smoothie version of the character, complete with hints of polysexual appetite. Meanwhile, across town, Eli Roth is planning a very different spin on the character.

Almost a year ago, Russell Crowe attached himself to star as Dracula in Harker, a new version of the story. At that time Jaume Collet-Sera was going to direct, but Roth has since taken over and is, while editing his cannibal movieThe Green Inferno, overseeing rewrites on the project - and then tweeting with Crowe about the progress.

Crowe: Ah Lord Gore, how go your travels and travails? I'm itching to see the BT draft. Have heard CD Character is popping. That's the way.

Roth: Ah yes, my fingers and frames drip with the sweet red nectar of editing. And yes, methinks the Count will be most pleased.

Crowe: When are we going to start the harvest Lord Gore ?

Roth: I smell a springtime feast. I salivate just thinking of it.

Crowe: We should begin just before the petals unfurl...poetic

Roth: The wafting floral air of spring shall give way to the pungent ambrosia of the ripe fall harvest.

Er... get a room?

I can't break the BT and CD codes, but it seems like Roth is expecting to get the film in front of cameras this Spring. That means he'll be shooting one picture before his previous one has even been released - what have I done to deserve that?

Casting Crowe as Dracula is certainly interesting, and the concept behind the film - which turns it into more a Sherlock Holmes style battle of wits between a detective Jonathan Harker and the Count - will certainly take us away from over-trod ground.

I can certainly buy JRM as Drac over Russell Crowe, so that's the one I'm waiting for! Didn't like DeGouw in Arrow AT ALL...but that may have been due to the script and not the actress.

Agree about JRM as Drac - he's a good fit.
    I disagree about DeGouw - I liked her as Huntress on Arrow (but then again, I've rather enjoyed the show... maybe I've had low post-Smallville-level expectations?).
    It would be interesting to see her range, since Helena's character was pretty much rage, seethe, rage, seethe and occasionally talk about Daddy.

It's obvious CD is "Count Dracula" but I'm not sure what BT means. Russell Crowe is certainly a strange choice at first glance, but that's because we're so used to young and sexy Draculas and vampires, and Count Dracula never really made it that far in the novel before he was killed. He starts out really old and decrepit, but he never ends up really youthful and pretty or anything. The biggest hurdle I think will be the accent. In the novel he was actually described as having a more subtle accent than we're used to hearing, but it depends on how they're going about it. Roth is a big horror fan and loves the old school stuff, and I've noticed his movies have often been tributes/homages to old horror subgenres, so I'm kind of hoping we'll get a revival of the classic, old school vampire movie like Universal and Hammer used to do.

I certainly can't count on NBC to provide that with their TV series, since it's sounding more and more like they want to do Dracula for the Twilight crowd.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    It's obvious CD is "Count Dracula" but I'm not sure what BT means.
    Before Transylvania.

(I'm joking.)

Wrote the Book on Cool

Cool, but what about other two Dracula projects that I'm even more interested in seeing - The Last Voyage of Demeter movie and the series from Starz?

Well.. so much for Huntress showing up more..

And.. eh.. Dracula is always a well for material... good and bad. Just randomly saw on tv the other day Frank Langella playing him in some pretty cheesy 1970s movie.

Now whose blood do I gotta suck around here to get a movie made of the manga Hellsing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    Well.. so much for Huntress showing up more..

And.. eh.. Dracula is always a well for material... good and bad. Just randomly saw on tv the other day Frank Langella playing him in some pretty cheesy 1970s movie.

Now whose blood do I gotta suck around here to get a movie made of the manga Hellsing?
    No ideas if she will or won't, but her new role doesn't mean anything. Natalie Zea is on Justified, The Following, and Californication.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    I hope you don't mean live action?