Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Warner Bros. Planning Gremlins Reboot. Again

Administrator

Default Warner Bros. Planning Gremlins Reboot. Again

Though it's been rumoured numerous times before, the rather dependable Vulture are again reporting that Warner Bros. have been speaking to Amblin about maybe getting a Gremlins reboot off the ground.

And I expect that this would be a project we can legitimately call a reboot rather than a remake. They'll keep the creatures and the "rules," I'm sure, but they'll more than likely change everything else. You don't need a Billy Peltzer to sell Gremlins.

I'm very fond of the original film, and while I think the second is possibly the better, braver, and certainly crazier episode, it's actually the original that I go back to the most - maybe because I can't let Christmas go past without it.

There would seem to be little to no chance that Joe Dante would be involved in the do-over. Heck, it seems unlikely that they'd even get back Gizmo to play Gizmo and would just replace him with CG or something.

Still, the basic premise of Gremlins is a rich one and the right filmmakers could turn in something special - obviously it happend twice before, so I don't know why it couldn't again. I only hope Warner Bros. don't think they'd be currying fan boy favour by getting Chris Columbus involved...

Puppets, Howie Mandel, Frank Welker, and Dick Miller, or no dice.

Whoever first suggests CG Gremlins is history's greatest monster.

I just watched this again recently, it's a great, fun film! While I do feel I'm a bit of a traditionalist and you should leave well alone, I'm surprised WB haven't absolutely milked this franchise.

Wrote the Book on Cool

No mater how much people might dislike Columbus's latter work, without his script there is no Gremlins.
    jcb10 likes this.

Exceedingly Cool

I love the second film, and it does offer a template for "wacky Gremlins adventures" that don't rely much on what came before.
    jcb10 likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool Comedian's Avatar

One of the great movies. I was amazed, though, at how much darker the novelization was. If you've never read it, hunt it down. It's a great read.

Puppetry and make-up effects have evolved quite a bit since then, this could be great - especially if they go dark and evil with the Gremlins.

Just re-release the original in theaters.

Wrote the Book on Cool ThatNickGuy's Avatar

Please no CGI. Please no CGI. Please no CGI. Please no CGI.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    Just re-release the original in theaters.
    They did that in December, here in the UK. I believe it did fairly well on a screen by screen basis.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast