Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joss Whedon Fancied Directing New Star Wars... For Two Seconds Or So

Administrator

Default Joss Whedon Fancied Directing New Star Wars... For Two Seconds Or So

There's an outline for the next Avengers movie and Joss Whedon is busy turning it into a screenplay. At the same time he's busy directing the pilot for SHIELD. And he's busy writing future episodes of that same series. In fact, he's also busy helping guide the Marvel Movieverse in general.

That's four consecutive sentences with the word busy in them. Make that five. I think I've made the message clear.

Speaking to CNN, Whedon says he is happy being busy with his superheroes, but there was this other job that he quite fancied - for half a thought.

Here's Whedon's reaction to Lucasfilm's plans for more Star Wars:
    When I heard that I was like, "I wonder... no, I really can't do that. Oh, I already have a job." I wouldn't clear the Avengers. I'm having so much fun with that sequel right now, just with the script, that I couldn't imagine not doing it.
    I can imagine him not doing Avengers 2. It's not a pretty picture. This man was born to Marvel movietise.

It's interesting that, from the very letter of his comments, Whedon seemed to hear about the Star Wars news with the rest of us. I guess we can add him to that apparently rather short list of directors not sounded out in some way, shape or form by Lucafilm.

Out of curiosity, CNN also got a few words from Whedon on just what his Star Wars might have been like:
    I'd like to see a little edge. We all missed the Han of it. It got very portentous, which was justified by the story, but I think we'd all like to see a little anarchy in the mix.
    Cue fan grief now. When you get to stage five of the Kübler-Ross process I'll be there to meet you with a Blu-ray of The Avengers and a bowl of popcorn.

UPDATE: This story used to include an image that was a modified version of a PVP T-shirt design, for which Bleeding Cool apologizes. You can find the original on a t-shirt in the PVP Online store.

They are talking multiple films though and Joss has some years in him so who knows. It would be great to see him instead of Joe Johnston on a Bounty Hunters film.

Wrote the Book on Cool GreenCatcher's Avatar

So is it a bad sign that every single director who seem to be perfect for the Star Wars universe are already helming other projects ? First Abrams and now Whedon, is there anyone else out there right for SW ?
    "They used to call the devil the father of lies. But for someone whose sin is meant to be pride, you'd think that lying would leave something of a sour taste. So my theory is that when the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell." Mr. Easterman

Weird conflict of Disney interest here. Either their Marvel owned characters or their Star Wars owned characters.

Glad to see Joss stick with the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatcher View Post
    So is it a bad sign that every single director who seem to be perfect for the Star Wars universe are already helming other projects ? First Abrams and now Whedon, is there anyone else out there right for SW ?
    Duncan Jones.

We need cloning tech ASAP so Joss can direct Trek, Wars, DC, and Marval at the same time.

Not interested. In him or Abrams.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatcher View Post
    Mmmm.. not sure if it's a 'bad' sign... At least all the obvious candidates are working on stuff which will hopefully be good/enjoyable...

I can see that on the one hand something as big as Star Wars needs safe, experienced hands at the helm, but on the other hand I'd like it to be something fresh and new, not 'sloppy seconds' for someone who's already defined a known style for sf/space opera...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Exceedingly Cool

I'd like to see a little edge. We all missed the Han of it. It got very portentous, which was justified by the story, but I think we'd all like to see a little anarchy in the mix.
    sounds like Serenity/Firefly isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Not interested. In him or Abrams.
    Abrahams I sort of understand. I enjoyed his Star Trek, but that's pretty much the only thing he's done that I groove to (MI3 was no great shakes, and I couldn't stand Lost). But Whedon? Haven't followed much of his stuff, but he seems to have a pretty good handle on what he does. Is it just general "I don't see it fitting," or is there something specific about Whedon that makes you say he shouldn't do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast