Thread: Frankenstein Show From Sam Mendes And John Logan Headed To Showtime

Administrator

Default Frankenstein Show From Sam Mendes And John Logan Headed To Showtime

When word first broke of Sam Mendes and John Logan's big, high-concept TV drama, both Van Helsing and Dr. Frankenstein were mentioned. Tonight, Deadline are describing the show like this:
    a psychological horror drama series with literary underpinnings, including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, set in the 1800s.
    Deadline have learned that the show has ended up at Showtime, most likely with a straight-to-series order. That should means we'll get to see it, and all of one season too. At least.

The pilot script has apparently undergone "some tweaking" so that it might appeal better to the Showtime audience. I don't really know what that means. Boobs? Grue? Swears? Obtuse literary allusions? A complete removal of any even slightly obscure literary allusions?

I guess they're changes that Mendes and Logan were happy to make to get the show this home. I think I need a lesson in Showtime and what they mean.

Mendes is expect to direct the pilot, but we don't know when. With a following wind this could be on TV this year. I wouldn't say no.

Gratuitous sex, language, violence, and, yes, nudity are generally things that appear on most if not all Showtime shows. Not Game Of Thrones level nudity though.

Wrote the Book on Cool Comedian's Avatar

I imagine this will be taking the place of Dexter, for which next season is the last,

Will the monster be played by Jerry O'Connell?
    Friends come in all sizes. That's a fact, it's true!

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    Gratuitous sex, language, violence, and, yes, nudity are generally things that appear on most if not all Showtime shows. Not Game Of Thrones level nudity though.
    Not language! I hate it when they use language.

Wrote the Book on Cool ShadowVoyd's Avatar

After careful consideration, "yes please" is my official stated answer on the subject of this show. The "Showtime-isms" are icing on the cake. And here I was considering ending my subscription after Dexter's run ended. Sam Mendes, making gangsters, spies, and monsters that much cooler at the expense of my wallet and me somehow not hating him for it.... *sigh*

EDIT: And for the record, the potentially very cool show is apparently titled "Penny Dreadful" (which I find an odd omission from this article).
    Last edited by ShadowVoyd; 01-12-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Wrote the Book on Cool hammerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I imagine this will be taking the place of Dexter, for which next season is the last,
    Ah i hadn't bothered checking but that's good news confirmed...Dexter is done..they recovered slightly this last season but the previous with Tom Hank's son felt like the show had finally jumped the shark.

Wrote the Book on Cool ShadowVoyd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hammerstein View Post
    Ah i hadn't bothered checking but that's good news confirmed...Dexter is done..they recovered slightly this last season but the previous with Tom Hank's son felt like the show had finally jumped the shark.
    It's been confirmed since prior to this past season's launch. I think they realized after the debacle of Clyde Phillips leaving to be replaced by Chip Johannessen for season 5 (which saw some of the most complained about writing of the show and the departure of Johannessen immediately at the end of the season) and the only mild uptick in praise for season 6 that the time had come. They pretty much called this season and the next a "two part" season finale running over two seasons. And with the set-up at the end of this past season, they're pretty much committed now. I've personally enjoyed the entire run and am looking forward to see how it goes out.