Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Ridley Scott Has Passed On Justice League? Plus: Brian Michael Bendis Has Some Advice For Warner Bros.

Administrator

Default Ridley Scott Has Passed On Justice League? Plus: Brian Michael Bendis Has Some Advice For Warner Bros.

This is a rumour. It's from Cosmic Book News, a site that may indeed be very well tested, but not by me. As far as I'm concerned, they could just be pulling this stuff out of a hat.

But it's also a rumour that gives us a chance to discuss the state of play with the Justice League movie.

Now, according to this report, Ridley Scott has passed on directing Justice League. It's not so unlikely that he would have been offered it, and it's not so unlikely he would have passed. They may have hit the bullseye here, even if they just took a wild shot in the dark.

The Trades have claimed, pretty clearly, that Ben Affleck passed on the gig. I know of another, well-known director that was certainly asked to take a look and said that he didn't want to handle this one. Ridley Scott would make it three "that we know of."

But forget who said who isn't doing the film for a while and look at the timing. Warner Bros. have apparently pencilled the film in for a 2015 release, I think we're almost two years since they put Will Beall to work on the script, and there's still no director?

Sounds like something's not right.

Having seen the fruits of his work in Gangster Squad I might crack that it's Will Beall's script that's not right.

Maybe it's really that directors don't want to jump in bed with Warners and their DC set up when the potential for embarrassment is quite high - they're all going to face comparison to Marvel's output, even Chris Nolan's work on Batman.

There's a final point in Cosmic Book News' story which is quite literally a bit of stating the obvious, but I think it's the point here:
    ..if everything doesn't go smooth, and unless negotiations and formalities are sped up, the Justice League movie may get pushed back to 2016.
    Yeah, that "may" happen, of course it "may."

Brian Michael Bendis has given an interview to SFX magazine and it's in their latest print issue. He says something that seems to nail the issue for me, or rather a fix for it:
    There's a lot of brainpower here [at Marvel] so it was like 'let's put them to work. That's why we've such a strong hit ratio and it's why we're light years ahead of where Warner Bros. is right now.

They should do the same thing with Geoff Johns and their other guys. They might be in better shape if they did that. Fox have hired Mark Millar to do the same thing for them on X-Men and Fantastic Four. It works, so that's exactly what you should do.
    I think he's right. Warner Bros. want to start looking to their DC talent pool. There really does seem to be something wrong with their Justice League plans, and if they've got some guys on hand who really could help them fix it, I hope they turn to those guys. And soon.
    Mad_Man_Moon and jmyoung like this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    There's a lot of brainpower here [at Marvel] so it was like 'let's put them to work. That's why we've such a strong hit ratio and it's why we're light years ahead of where Warner Bros. is right now.

They should do the same thing with Geoff Johns and their other guys. They might be in better shape if they did that. Fox have hired Mark Millar to do the same thing for them on X-Men and Fantastic Four. It works, so that's exactly what you should do.
    Bendis, and yet you continue to write shitty comics. Why?

Exceedingly Cool

Get Geoff Johns involved in the JLA movie? Did you see Green Lantern????!!!

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atrocitus View Post
    Bendis, and yet you continue to write shitty comics. Why?
    For all the bitching and moaning about Bendis, the guy has received pretty widespread critical acclaim outside of his Avengers and event work. Daredevil, Powers, Ultimate Spider-Man, even his All New X-Men work: they all get rave reviews.

Beyond all that, in the end, he's right. Marvel's had massive amounts of success in the film world over the last five years and that can be directly attributed to a movie studio finally stopping and thinking "Hey, why don't we get some actual comic book people involved in making these things?"

Dean of Cool University FilmBuffRich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Having seen the fruits of his work in Gangster Squad I might crack that it's Will Beall's script that's not right.
    Having seen Gangster Squad last night, I would be inclined to agree with you.
    Mad_Man_Moon likes this.

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

Keep Geoff Johns out of the equation, please.

Bendis, Johns, and Millar = brainpower??

That's a good one.

I always wonder if the interviewer can keep a straight face when they hear things like this

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    Bendis, Johns, and Millar = brainpower??

That's a good one.

I always wonder if the interviewer can keep a straight face when they hear things like this
    Since they tend to make their companies money, I'd say yes. These guys are popular, they sell, what don't you understand about that?

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

I'd love to see writers like Ellis, Morrison, Snyder or even Waid involved with this movie in some capacity.

Very Cool

Considering how much I enjoyed Johns work on Smallville, the Legion Episode and the JSA ones, I hope he gets to take a pass at a JLA script.
    Mad_Man_Moon and Captain13 like this.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast