Thread: Arrested Development Surprises Pop Up Amongst New Netflix Streaming Details

Administrator

Default Arrested Development Surprises Pop Up Amongst New Netflix Streaming Details

Today, Netflix are to present their set of 'streaming originals' at the TCA Press Tour. As well as February 1st'sHouse of Cards and May'sArrested Development, the slate for the year also includes:
    • Hemlock Grove from Eli Roth, premiering on April 19th
    • Ricky Gervais' Derek - though that's starting out on Channel 4 here in the UK. You can see its trailer at the foot of this story.
    • Orange is the New Black, a comedy drama set in a women's prison. Jodie Foster is directing at least one episode.
    • A second series of Lilyhammer
    Most of the new details published in USA Today relate to Arrested Development. The picture at the top of this story was included too, and I think it's our first actual still from the new run.

Firstly, there's another mention of May being the premiere date for these new episodes, corroborating our previous storydown to the month if not the day.

Mitch Hurwitz also reveals that at no point will we see the whole family together and only Michael Bluth, as played by Jason Bateman will appear in every episode.

The structure of the whole thing sounds pretty hard to pull off perfectly:
    The show will look very different... [a]very, very complex puzzle... we're not jumping from one thing to another; you're staying with one character...the family has fallen apart at the start of our show. They all went their own way, without Michael holding them together, so they're left to their own devices, and they're not the most successful devices.

[We show]what happens in 2006 as the Bluths fled from the law on the Queen Mary...the moment you saw in one show will reappear in another show from a different character's perspective...If people watch it all at once, it will seem like a giantArrested Development. It's really tailored for Netflix.
    The other unexpected news on the show is that Michael Cera is now amongst the writing staff. A clue to his ongoing career progression, maybe?

Hurwitz has planned this complex, multi-part story to lead into the movie he's been wanting for years. Will it happen? There's certainly no guarantee.

I can see the servers at Netflix might take a bit of tickling come may.

Footnote: here's the trailer to Derek. Hopefully something from Hemlock Grove will be along later after the TCA panels.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3UvuoCFDcs[/youtube]

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'm sure it'll be amazing, but it's a bit disappointing to hear we won't be seeing other characters interact with each other (until the movie I guess?).

Still would like to know what the actual length will be of each episode.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MyInfiniteAbyss View Post
    I'm sure it'll be amazing, but it's a bit disappointing to hear we won't be seeing other characters interact with each other (until the movie I guess?).

Still would like to know what the actual length will be of each episode.
    The episodes'll most likely be between 20 and 23 minutes each

Wrote the Book on Cool

That's what I'd assume, but I wonder why? HBO half hour shows don't stick to the timing of network commercialized shows, so why should Arrested Development now that it's been released from that burden? The only reason for it being that length I would think would be due to budget. Otherwise, I'm sure they could go a full 30 minutes.

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

Is Gervais going the full retard there? Seriously, does anyone want to watch that?

Wrote the Book on Cool

From the panel they did: "In general, we're just going to try to make these under a half-hour. Try to take the cable TV comedy model." So, not 22 minutes then.