Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Luke S

Thread: Mark Romanek No Longer Directing Disney's Cinderella. Their Loss

Administrator

Default Mark Romanek No Longer Directing Disney's Cinderella. Their Loss

Disney have issued a statement, confirming that they're no longer working with Mark Romanek on their live-action Cinderella. Some quotes appeared on The Hollywood Reporter:
    The Walt Disney Studios and Mark Romanek have parted ways on Disney?sCinderellaproject.We are committed to moving the project forward and have begun the search for a new director. The team here at Disney respects Mark as both a director and a friend, and we hope to find something to work on together in the future.
    Very unfortunate.

Romanek has made three features, most recently the exceptional Never Let Me Go. I expect he'll now collect some spurious stigma, having parted ways with Disney on this project and Universal on The Wolf Man, his version of the equally non-existant Gilliam curse.

Romanek talked about his aspirations with The Wolf Man before, and those comments probably shed some light on what went on with Cinderella. That time, he said, he was looking to make a credible and legitimate film, something that would be critically well-received but also had the potential to be populist.

I suppose somebody had those priorities reversed.

Cate Blanchett is attached to star as the step-mother character in Cinderella. Whatever happens next... well, this film has lost its shine for me, I'm afraid. We've got something of a pumpkin here now, I fear.

Okay... so what's next for Romanek? That's what I want to know.

I don't know this chap's work at all Brendon (Never Let Me Go sounded horrendous), and don't doubt your word that he would've made something interesting. But such pessimism! Who knows who may wind up directing, Disney could come up with something amazing.

And hey, he may be making Locke and Key, which would be more fun than Cinderella, surely?
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    I don't know this chap's work at all Brendon (Never Let Me Go sounded horrendous)
    It's not, horrendous things happen, but that's the point. It's really very beautiful, I can only suggest you give it a go and forget any ideas of genre before you go in. I'd say much the same for One Hour Photo. I haven't seen Static, but I'd like to.

Cinderella's up in the air for now. It might shake out all right, who knows? I'd love to see whatever Romanek does next and I'm sure he'd love to make something that people can see.
    Mart and mquitney like this.

Cheers Luke!
    Visit http://dangermart.blogspot.com/ for comic reviews

Zen Master of Cool

I'm not sure if losing a director who has only done three features since 1985 is all that big a loss. That said... Corporate Ghost was great and very well put together. He's good at compiling music videos, maybe he should stick with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Cheers Luke!
    That's OK!