Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Evil Dead Director Promises His Remake Doesn\'t Have A Single Drop Of CG In It

Administrator

Default Evil Dead Director Promises His Remake Doesn\'t Have A Single Drop Of CG In It

Fede Alvarez, director of the new Evil Dead, came to the attention of Sam Raimi with a very CG-heavy short film - I'll embed it at the foot of this post so you can see just how dependent on computers it was. Having seen this film it strikes me as something of a surprise that Alvarez is now promising there's no CG in his Dead remake at all.

Here's the quote, from IO9:
    We didn't do any CGI in the movie. There's no CGI in the movie. Everything you will see is real, which was really demanding. This was a very long shoot, 70 days of shooting at night. There's a reason people use CGI it's cheaper and faster, I hate that. We researched a lot of magic tricks and illusion tricks. [Like] how you would make someone's arm disappear.
    Sorry, but I don't believe he's quite right. Somewhere along the line, I'm prepared to be there's going to be some computerised visual FX, whether it's wire removal or a replacement sky or whatever.And that's not a bad thing. I remember the matted in full moon in the first film and how that would have benefited hugely from computer tech.

I guess what Alvarez was trying to say is that there won't be any CG blood or limb splaying or so on, that all of the gore is practical. That's respectable. And the trailer makes the FX work look great.

Anyway, here's Alvarez' film Panic Attack, pretty much wallpapered in CG.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk[/youtube]

Wrote the Book on Cool Bishop37's Avatar

If that's true, then he's to be congratulated. CG is a great tool but practical VFX have their place and often look more 'realistic' than cartoony CG. It's a bit of a myth that CG is cheaper than practical.
    StarCruncher likes this.
    "There are those who believe life here began out there, far across the universe..."

This makes me happy. I love practical effects. CGI blood still looks terrible. Plus there's something to be said for watching a movie and seeing something that they made. Like watching Aliens and seeing the Power Loader. Its soo much cooler because its real.
    StarCruncher likes this.
    Twitter - eFridayPfender
    My semi-regular thoughts - Rants, Raves, and Ricin

Way Cool

That's my home town blowing up in his short film. We did a cheap-ass version for the intro of our fake news show.

Brendon Connelly likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool hammerstein's Avatar

I don't give a toss either way...too much is made of technological techniques and nowhere near enough of execution. Anything can work if the director knows what they're doing.

I'm more concerned about the tone of the trailer which promises lots of splatter but im I hope this is not going to be 'hipster douchebags go to the woods meets Carrie'
    Fysh, toodoor and smokescreen like this.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

He likely used the CGI in the short film precisely because, as he says, it's faster and cheaper. Now he's got a real budget and a full crew, he's going to indulge in some old school film-making. Good for him, and the movie will be better for it.
    StarCruncher likes this.

Zen Master of Cool

this movie is going to be a terrible corporate remake of a movie series that is loved so much largely due to it's star, and it's directors wild ineptitude and inability to make an actual horror film that you dont want to laugh your ass off at. Take that away and its just another forgettable horror film with a silly story.
    GLuke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smokescreen View Post
    this movie is going to be a terrible corporate remake of a movie series that is loved so much largely due to it's star, and it's directors wild ineptitude and inability to make an actual horror film that you dont want to laugh your ass off at. Take that away and its just another forgettable horror film with a silly story.
    In this case, the corporation remaking the movie is Raimi and Campbell.

Exceedingly Cool

I saw the short film Giant God Warrior Appears In Tokyo (trailer) before Evangelion 3.0. Done with people in suits and models, and it looked amazing on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by smokescreen View Post
    So every movie ever. Check.
    Twitter - eFridayPfender
    My semi-regular thoughts - Rants, Raves, and Ricin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast