Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ending Of Breaking Bad Might Echo The Beginning And Have A Casablanca Vibe, Is Definitely Proving Hard To Write

Administrator

Default The Ending Of Breaking Bad Might Echo The Beginning And Have A Casablanca Vibe, Is Definitely Proving Hard To Write

Vince Gilligan has been speaking to Vulture about the work he's doing now, trying to bring his show, Breaking Bad, to a satisfying conclusion.

Gilligan may have had an idea for how to wrap things up when he started, five seasons ago, and several other ideas evolved along the way, but even now the show runner is not quite sure on how to achieve that perfect kind of audience fulfilling closure.

But he knows what the benchmark is, and it's Casablanca.
    No one gets everything they wanted. The guy doesn?t get the girl, but he has the satisfaction of knowing she wants him. And he doesn?t get her because he has to save the free world. What better ending is there than that? ... We?re looking for that kind of satisfaction.
    The threads in play include a number that go way back to the first episode:
    Are there echoes of the beginning that we should have in the end? There?s a certain kind of circularity that might be pleasing. We think a lot about that, in fact.
    Yes, circularity can be pleasing - it can also feel like the easy way cop-out to bring some closure to a story. Circularity needs to be part of the structure of a satisfying conclusion, not all of it. "And look, it's like the beginning!" is only one step above "It was all just a dream!" when it floats by without some other resonances.

Gilligan also commented on what the final episode will mean:
    I?m very cornball in my own view of the world. It just makes sense to me that bad people should get punished and good people should be rewarded. I know it doesn?t work like that in real life, but there?s always that yearning [but] oddly enough, I don?t feel any real pressure to pay off the characters, morally speaking.
    I'm not up to speed on Breaking Bad - in fact, I have a very long way to go - but I like knowing that wherever it's heading, Gilligan's in control and has kept trying to hone the best conclusion, right up until the wire.

Read the whole post.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I just recently got current on Breaking Bad episodes. I almost dropped the series at the beginning of Season 3 because it was so slow, but I stuck with it and I'll be on board the rest of the way. I kept reading that Walter would be so unlikable by this point, but he's still the guy I root for the most. Granted, I enjoy the organized crime genre, be it yakuza, triad, jopok, whatever. Sometimes I like to root for the bad guy, and in this case, if Walter doesn't get to ride off into the sunset, I'll be very disappointed.

Wrote the Book on Cool jackolantern's Avatar

I'm reading Gilligan's concerns about making a good ending as being partially informed by some of the nerdrage over the finales of some very well-regarded franchises: Lost, BSG, maybe even the Mass Effect videogame trilogy. Part of it, too, is that there's already been some foreshadowing of the end at the beginning of season 5, and [NOT REALLY SPOILERS BUT A LITTLE SPOILER-ESQUE] both Gilligan and Bryan Cranston have said (although they may have changed their minds since) that Walter White isn't going to get a miracle cancer cure at the end, say, "Well, I guess I don't need the meth business any more!", and go back to teaching.

I love this show so much (my avatar proves it, I guess). It is crazy how they have made Walt into such an inept, self-destructive villain - AND I STILL ROOT FOR HIM.
    Honestly, I don't see Walt surviving the end of the series. And I'm betting Skylar & Hank won't either.

(Oddly enough, I bet Jesse will get the happy ending.)

VP in Charge of Cool Tariq Leslie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    I love this show so much (my avatar proves it, I guess). It is crazy how they have made Walt into such an inept, self-destructive villain - AND I STILL ROOT FOR HIM.
    Honestly, I don't see Walt surviving the end of the series. And I'm betting Skylar & Hank won't either.

I don't see him as inept anymore - I think he's been on a very steep learning curve. If anything I think he's learned to play the game too well.

I've seen all the episodes now, and have been re-watching the earlier episodes with my girlfriend - who I never thought would like the show at all! - and I am seeing his transition more and more. How he's become more and more cold and logical, and manipulative, and smooth.

Now, when things go wrong, or when he steps out of his comfort zone to the next 'level' - if you will - of his descent - then we see frantic and exacerbated Walt, but it also seems that after each of those instances, the pendulum readjusts and Walt is yet more adjusted to his new 'reality.'

In every case though it is - as Mike said - Walt's ego and arrogance that brings him to this edge.

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Honestly, I see things going relatively counter. I expect Walt to be about the only one of the main cast to survive. The direction the show's going, I expect Walt to outlive them all and be forced to live out what time is left to him alone, on the run and riddled with cancer and regret. An appropriately tragic and moral ending for a show full of people taking constant moral shortcuts. I especially don't see Jesse surviving as his death would probably have, far and away, the largest impact on the audience (The gut punch that was Mike was hard enough); couple in the fact he wasn't supposed to survive the first season anyway and I'd say he's doomed.

Of course, personally I'd be satisfied to see the only survivors as Jesse, Walt Jr. and Hank. The latter two were never really morally compromised by the show (At least as yet) and the former just being way too likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tariq Leslie View Post
    I don't see him as inept anymore
    What about the way he deal with Mike?

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

What about the way he deal with Mike?
    I wouldn't call that inept so much as he's prone to letting things spin out of control when he's not familiar with the situation.

Part of the appeal, in my mind, of Walter's character, is that he's this cold, manipulative and brilliant bastard who makes the same kind of idiotic concentration lapse mistakes that any other fish-out-of-water person would make in his position. It's a humanizing quality. He's smart and it shows, but he's also acting against what has been his nature for the first 47 or so years of his life.

I mean, sure, I'm sitting at home watching him shoot Mike and thinking "dude, why don't you just get it from the woman?!" but at the same time, the show excellently conveys that Walt is acting in the heat of the moment and when he's panicked, he screws up. It's a well exhibited pattern on the show that takes it out of the realm of "suspension of disbelief" and more into the realm of "personality trait."

I won't say Breaking Bad is my favorite show ever, or even among my top five, but it's also one of the best put together shows I've ever seen at damn near every level.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    I wouldn't call that inept so much as he's prone to letting things spin out of control when he's not familiar with the situation.

Part of the appeal, in my mind, of Walter's character, is that he's this cold, manipulative and brilliant bastard who makes the same kind of idiotic concentration lapse mistakes that any other fish-out-of-water person would make in his position. It's a humanizing quality. He's smart and it shows, but he's also acting against what has been his nature for the first 47 or so years of his life.

I mean, sure, I'm sitting at home watching him shoot Mike and thinking "dude, why don't you just get it from the woman?!" but at the same time, the show excellently conveys that Walt is acting in the heat of the moment and when he's panicked, he screws up. It's a well exhibited pattern on the show that takes it out of the realm of "suspension of disbelief" and more into the realm of "personality trait."
    This.

But then, I want to see Walt burn. Seriously. Fuck that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpanda View Post
    This.

But then, I want to see Walt burn.
    UNLIKE!

It's hard to pinpoint the exact moment that Walt went from "good-intentioned-paved roadway to hell" to "egotistical criminal mastermind", but the downward spiral has been amazing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast