Thread: Carrie Remake Pushed Back From March To October

Administrator

Default Carrie Remake Pushed Back From March To October

As much as I love Brian DePalma's film, I've been looking forward to Kimberly Peirce's do-over of Carrie. Until now, the film was set for release in March - so soon! - but Sony have just bumped it back to October 18th - so far away!

So why did they do this? To better fit with the Hallowe'en vibe? To chime with the film's prom-based plot points? To give them more time for even more marketing?

Or so that they might rework things a little?

We don't know, of course. We may never know.

Incidentally, Carrie's March 15th date has now been given to something called The Call. I was having a hard time thinking what this might be so I searched "the call" 2013 in Youtube, and here's what I found...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTHdG-Db_E[/youtube]

What a bizarre coincidence.

The Call, incidentally, was previously called The Hive. It doesn't seem to have a trailer yet, stars Halle Berry and was directed by Brad Anderson. Maybe Sony just needed a dumping spot for this one...

...We will know her name, eh?

-------

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    To chime with the film’s prom-based plot points?
    I might not have gone, but I know prom wasn't in October.

Quote Originally Posted by MyInfiniteAbyss View Post
    I might not have gone, but I know prom wasn't in October.
    Yeah, I was going to say... prom is generally a spring event. Homecoming is usually the fall event.

I suspect they're yielding to the "Horror Movies must come out in October" mindset.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I do know that WWE Superstar David Otunga has a role in the Call and they've been talking about it for months. Apparently, they're the only one talking about it. The change in name is interesting. The former name "The Hive" seems to imply something more to the film than just a kidnapping. Perhaps the change in the name is to keep it more on point with the initial premise about an Emergency Call Operator and hide any twists within the film. Either way, I've yet to see anything about the film that makes me particularly interested.

That Carrie poster looks so familiar, perhaps because it looks like ten other posters that have come out within the past few years.

They could be avoiding spring because it is prom season and if someone goes on a killing spree in a tux and taffeta, they don't want it linked to their movie.
    "However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum." - ThanosCopter

http://timberoo.deviantart.com/

Wrote the Book on Cool

March isn't a great month for movies -- it's better than the dumping grounds of January, February and August, but not by much -- so I take Carrie getting pushed to October and the run up to Halloween as a promotion akin to a science fiction TV series getting moved from Friday to, well, any other day of the work week.