Thread: Video: The Earliest Animation Of All Time, As Created In Cave Paintings

Administrator

Default Video: The Earliest Animation Of All Time, As Created In Cave Paintings

Marc Azéma, a film maker and researcher at the University of Toulouse Le Mirail, believes that cave paintings contain mankind's earliest attempts at multi-frame, animation-style motion.

He's taken some images from the caves in Lascaux and sequenced them appropriately, and the effect is actually pretty convincing.Here's a brief demonstration as posted today byThe New Scientist.

But Azema isn't just presenting his findings now. These clips are actually excerpted from a longer video posted almost two years ago - possibly longer, in the first case. That's below, as well as another clip from the same youtube account. That one shows a slightly more recent attempt to animate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM7gRh41pBA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqgrjG1Tv4[/youtube]

Azéma's book on prehistoric proto-cinema sadly seems to be out of print. To the local lending library I go...

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Zen Master of Cool Death's Head's Avatar

I was reading about this in the last issue of New Scientist. Coincidentally, I was reading Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics the other day and in the beginning he posits cave paintings as an early form of sequential art with words, ie. comics.
    SMITH
    Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - a comic strip so controversial you'll crap Shreddies.