Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quentin Tarantino Planning Django Unchained And inglourious Basterds Spin-Off, Killer Crow

Administrator

Default Quentin Tarantino Planning Django Unchained And inglourious Basterds Spin-Off, Killer Crow

It's safe to say Quentin Tarantino isn't a fan of John Ford, and it all seems to hinge on just one of his film making decisions. An acting one, in fact. The decision to play a Klansman in DW Griffith's hideously racist Birth of a Nation.

I recommend listening to the new podcast with Tarantino at The Root (via Movieline) where he discusses his feelings towards Ford at length.

Amongst the other topics up for discussion are a proposed third part to a trilogy Tarantino says was started by Inglourious Basterds and continued with Django Unchained. This fits my news mandate, so I'll pass on the details here.
    I don't know exactly when I'm going to do it, but there's something about this that would suggest a trilogy. [The next part would follow] a bunch of black troops, and they had been f--ked over by the American military and kind of go apeshit... [The] black troops... kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland.

That would be the third of the trilogy. It would be [connected to] Inglourious Basterds, too, because Inglourious Basterds are in it, but it is about the soldiers. It would be called Killer Crow or something like that... [It would be set]in '44. It would be after Normandy.
    Tarantino has promised any number of spin-offs and side projects over the years from The Vega Brothers to Kill Bill Part 3, and as yet, not a single one has materialised. Indeed, he's not yet delivered Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair as a wide release and that's all but finished.

It seems we're at the mercy of his passions, and the projects that get done are the ones that fire him up the most. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Maybe Tarantino could, like Kevin Smith, write these spin-off ideas as comic books with Vertigo, Image or Dark Horse.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I've mentioned it elsewhere, DC did a Django Unchained comic adaptation, so perhaps that'll be the door to get comics made of things like Vega Brothers and Kill Bill 3.

This spin-off though will never happen.

Banned

Whatever Q decides to do at this point, I'm on board. As of Django, Q can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.

It's safe to say Quentin Tarantino isn't a fan of John Ford
    ...That's otay. Most of us John Ford fans aren't fans of Trenton Quarantino either.
    -------

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MyInfiniteAbyss View Post
    I've mentioned it elsewhere, DC did a Django Unchained comic adaptation, so perhaps that'll be the door to get comics made of things like Vega Brothers and Kill Bill 3.

This spin-off though will never happen.
    The first issue of the DJANGO comic came out last week. The art by R.M. Guera (SCALPED) is beautiful and its an adaptation of Tarantino's first draft of the script. I picked it up and enjoyed it.

Wrote the Book on Cool WillipsBrighton's Avatar

I already think of Django and Basterds being part of a trilogy along with Deathproof. The "No shit, Sherlock" trilogy, where Tarantino tries to be edgy while simultaneously making the most obvious, crowd pleasing points ever that rape, Nazis, and slavery are all bad.

Wrote the Book on Cool Revolutionary Cyke's Avatar

All this hate because Ford had a cameo in a movie when he was 20 years old and probably pennyless? I mean, if he had directed it, or was a more established name, I could get it, but this is ridiculous.

Even more because Tarantino is obviously heavily inspired by spaghetti-westerns, and NONE of them would exist without the Searchers, which is probably one of the first anti-racism major films- and if he thought Ethan Edwards' behavior on most of it was seen by Ford as positive, he missed the point entirely- which another of his idols, Godard, got, as well as the other Cahiers writers even back in the 50's.

And heck, Tarantino has on his top 10 list Taxi Driver, which is essentially the Searchers in 70's NY.

So, this just strikes as him being judgmental and petty.
    To be or not to be. That's not really a question.
    Jean-Luc Godard

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...That's otay. Most of us John Ford fans aren't fans of Trenton Quarantino either.
    Yeeeeeeeeeehaw! (Jesus.)

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WillipsBrighton View Post
    I already think of Django and Basterds being part of a trilogy along with Deathproof. The "No shit, Sherlock" trilogy, where Tarantino tries to be edgy while simultaneously making the most obvious, crowd pleasing points ever that rape, Nazis, and slavery are all bad.
    Congratulations on completely missing the point. What he's doing is attempting to manipulate the audience emotionally moment by moment, by jamming humor and engaging characterization and horrible violence and shameful, history-based melodrama and a lot more all against each other, and making us feel all of it exactly the way he wants us to. You make it seem like it's all about meaning. It's only a bit about meaning. It's a symphony of tone. Now go back and watch them again knowing how to do that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast