Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Great Gatsby Character Posters Give Us Beautiful People In Baz Luhrmann-Vision

Administrator

Default Great Gatsby Character Posters Give Us Beautiful People In Baz Luhrmann-Vision

Warner Bros. have paced the release of several Great Gatsby character posters over the last couple of days. Here, I think, is the complete set - Isla Fisher, Tobey Maguire, Joel Edgerton, Elizabeth Debicki, Carey Mulligan and finally Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby himself.

That's a lot of shiny young people, as you'd expect from a Baz Luhrmann film.

Debicki is pretty much an unknown quantity so far. I expect this will be a star making role for her no matter how well the how picture turns out.

Sit tight for a new trailer for the film coming very soon... less than hour after these posters, in fact.

UPDATE: The trailer is live now.

Wrote the Book on Cool cmichaelhall's Avatar

If there's ANY director likely to focus on the glitz of the era and forget what the whole novel was actually ABOUT, it's the visual-appeal-above-all-other-concerns Luhrmann. It's going to be a pretty piece of spectacle, but I fear it's going to be virtually devoid of substance, which bums me out: Gatsby is a great role for DiCaprio.
    DarthEwok likes this.

Writer/Cartoonist/Evil Mastermind
    http://www.cmichaelhall.com

Quote Originally Posted by cmichaelhall View Post
    If there's ANY director likely to focus on the glitz of the era and forget what the whole novel was actually ABOUT, it's the visual-appeal-above-all-other-concerns Luhrmann. It's going to be a pretty piece of spectacle, but I fear it's going to be virtually devoid of substance, which bums me out: Gatsby is a great role for DiCaprio.
    I suppose so. Leo can be near brilliant in certain scenes and just dead in others. It's that inconsistency that bugs the tar out of me. Just once, I'd love for him to just nail a role from title to credits.
    Living my life to be like Jesse Custer but when I look in the mirror all I see is Cassidy. How I ended up with Tulip anyways, God only knows.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomesauce View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that reality has an extreme anti-DC bias......
    Bleeding Cool is causing serious harm to my self-esteem. It won't let me Like myself.

Account Closed

Not pretentious at all.

Not one bit.

Wrote the Book on Cool cmichaelhall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    I suppose so. Leo can be near brilliant in certain scenes and just dead in others. It's that inconsistency that bugs the tar out of me. Just once, I'd love for him to just nail a role from title to credits.
    I suspect that we can blame certain directors for that. Some actors need, even crave direction from someone who knows how to elicit the best performances from their actors. Not every director is up to working with that kind of actor.

The thing about Gatsby, though, is that he's such a riddle for so much of the story that even Leo's "distant moments" would enrich the proceedings. The role is perfect for him. But Luhrmann...well, I hope it's good. I fear it won't be.
    alekesam likes this.

Writer/Cartoonist/Evil Mastermind
    http://www.cmichaelhall.com

Wrote the Book on Cool hammerstein's Avatar

His wife is the star of all his movies...they're designed to glitter and shine from top to bottom but are daft, ditzy, empty headed and shallow as a teacup full of giddy little girls.

It will be gorgeously presented garbage. Murdoch should stop bankrolling this shit.
    Last edited by hammerstein; 12-20-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    cmichaelhall likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cmichaelhall View Post
    I suspect that we can blame certain directors for that. Some actors need, even crave direction from someone who knows how to elicit the best performances from their actors. Not every director is up to working with that kind of actor.

The thing about Gatsby, though, is that he's such a riddle for so much of the story that even Leo's "distant moments" would enrich the proceedings. The role is perfect for him. But Luhrmann...well, I hope it's good. I fear it won't be.
    Very true. This is exactly why I don't mind him being in Django because Quentin is so specific in what he wants in his scenes/movie that he'll likely pull the best out of him so yeah, I can see that.

As far as Luhrman goes, you didn't like Moulin Rouge, Australia, or Romeo and Juliet (which just occurred to me, this isn't his first tango with Leo)? I did feel that R & J was a tad too OTT and MR's ending left a bit to be desired but Australia I really liked (one of the few movies where I really liked Nicole Kidman's performance in) and don't really have an unkind thing to say about it.
    Living my life to be like Jesse Custer but when I look in the mirror all I see is Cassidy. How I ended up with Tulip anyways, God only knows.

Bleeding Cool is causing serious harm to my self-esteem. It won't let me Like myself.

Wrote the Book on Cool Revolutionary Cyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicalClavicles View Post
    Not pretentious at all.

Not one bit.
    If you're adapting The Great Gatsby and you aren't pretentious, you ain't doing it right.
    alekesam and cmichaelhall like this.
    To be or not to be. That's not really a question.
    Jean-Luc Godard

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    As far as Luhrman goes, you didn't like Moulin Rouge, Australia, or Romeo and Juliet (which just occurred to me, this isn't his first tango with Leo)? I did feel that R & J was a tad too OTT and MR's ending left a bit to be desired but Australia I really liked (one of the few movies where I really liked Nicole Kidman's performance in) and don't really have an unkind thing to say about it.
    The only one of those I've seen is R&J and, while it had its moments, my main take away was how much I would have loved to have seen that cast with a different director.

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    The only one of those I've seen is R&J and, while it had its moments, my main take away was how much I would have loved to have seen that cast with a different director.
    R & J wasn't his best work (to me). Loved the soundtrack tho'.
    Comicsfan101 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast