Thread: Raiders Of The Lost Ark In Black And White, The Way Steven Soderbergh Likes It - UPDATED With Video

Administrator

Default Raiders Of The Lost Ark In Black And White, The Way Steven Soderbergh Likes It - UPDATED With Video

Towards the end of last year a list was published revealing everything Steven Soderbergh had watched or read throughout 2010 and into 2011. Perhaps the most surprising thing on this list were the recurrent appearances of Raiders of the Lost Ark... in black and white.

This has inspired cinematographer Evan Richards to correct a number of frames from the film and post them on his blog.

Here are some of the most striking ones from just the opening adventure.

Thanks to Dean Lines for the pointer.

UDPATE: And here's a video from Indiewire, starting and ending with commentary. I'm not sure all of these points really make sense - particularly about Slocombe lighting for colour and black at once, because I don't think he was doing any such thing - but it's at least a presentation of the film in monochrome and that's what we're talking about here.

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/36143293#[/vimeo]

Shit.. I dunno if I ever got Raiders, TempleOfDoom, and Last Crusade on DVD or BluRay. I did fibally get Jureasic Park and Back to the Future on dvd.. and bootlegged laserdisc or dvd copies of unedited Star Wars from a friend. Somehow missed Indy even though I got a carocature as him as a kid and had it hanging in my house. I watched the hell outta my VHS tapes. Should go get them from home and put them in my vcr... and turn down the color to see how it works.

Just have Netflix, Hulu or somebody generate a black & white streaming channel. I'd be down for it.

I adored the OT growing up.

Years later, I showed them to my baby cousin (relatively speaking - she was a teen). Raiders was a big hit with her and some friends, but Temple? Pure sarcastic laughter and eye-rolling at the horribly-dated bluescreen effects. I admit, my nostalgia really glossed over my memory. The effects in question were really, really horrible. In the light of modern day, they destroyed any hope of excitement or immersion. They considered Last Crusade 'pretty good'.

They also thought the fourth movie was 'kinda long, kinda stupid, and kinda boring', and all decided they wanted to go home and watch Raiders again. I guess that says something in itself.

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

I don't know if I'd say it was MEANT to be in black and white, but it certainly does look good in it, IMO.

Black and white looks amazing for this, they should do 5 in BW just for the hell of it.
    Warning, the above post may contain traces of sarcasm, or have been written in an environment where it may have come into contact with sarcasm.

My name is Steven Tudor, nice to meet you.

Bring back signatures!!!!!!!

Dean of Cool University

Stupid Question: But can we do this to our HDTVs? Cuz I'd love to watch this in B/W.