Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris McQuarrie Has Marvel-Like Ideas For Fox's X-Men Universe

Administrator

Default Chris McQuarrie Has Marvel-Like Ideas For Fox's X-Men Universe

While Mark Millar has been hired by Fox to oversee the development and interplay of their various Marvel movie franchises, it seems that Usual Suspects and Wolverine writer and Jack Reacher writer-director Chris McQuarrie has ambitions to be involved himself.

Speaking with ScreenRant he said:
    I thought that it?d be really cool to create a ?bible? ? you know, a series of outlines of interlocking movies where you could do kind of you?re creating multiple movies that could come together as one movie here and there.
    He took this to his friend and colleague, and Fox's recurring X-Men man, Bryan Singer, as well as studio honcho Tom Rothman:
    Right after I got back from shooting [Jack Reacher] I had a meeting with Tom Rothman ? just a general meeting ? and I said to Tom, ?You know what I?d really love to do, is I?d really love to flesh out the X-Men Universe for you. You have this great wealth of these Marvel characters, and the X-Men franchise has only focused on a small handful of them ? there?s many more.?

...And? you know? I never heard back.
    Apparently because they gave that gig, or something like it, to Millar instead.

But could they still call on McQuarrie? The Marvel Movieverse has benefited from the input of many - including Millar, in fact. And McQuarrie is such a talented writer that it seems crazy to leave him out of the picture if he wants in. I never heard anything but goodthings about his draft of The Wolverine.

Millar's plan seems to be to fold in The Fantastic Four alongside the Mutants, but McQuarrie's right to say that there's a lot of potential even in tapping more of the off-centre mutant cast for Fox's own little Marvel annexe.

I'd like to think Millar will be on the phone to McQuarrie as soon as he hears about this. And if he is, I dare say we'll be hearing about their chat at Millarworld, even if the names have been redacted.

C'mon Mark - two heads are better than one.

Namor is the ultimate bridge between the franchises, at least until you get far enough into the FF franchise to have Franklin and his mutant abilities come into play.
    Surgeon General Warning! Sigs are bad for your health!

Zen Master of Cool

Here's hoping Millar is aware of this and contacts McQuarrie (and tells Fox to bring him into the fold). He's too talented to not involve. Especially since he wants to do it.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I can think of a pretty good reason McQuarrie never heard back from Tom Rothman.

Captain Britain, Excalibur & the Omniverse!!

Consultant of Cool mercifulbudah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post

Millar's plan seems to be to fold in The Fantastic Four alongside the Mutants, but McQuarrie's right to say that there's a lot of potential even in tapping more of the off-centre mutant cast for Fox's own little Marvel annexe.
    And I will take this moment to make this prediction (that to my knowledge no one has made yet). Betcha' Franklin Richards shows up in Days of Future Past. It's one of those things that you'd never think a movie (particularly a Fox movie) would be cool enough to do. Totally would earn them mad Kudos and pull the two worlds together.

Also I just want to say I love that X-Men image you used as the header.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Wrote the Book on Cool

Sounds like a good idea

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thekamisama View Post
    Namor is the ultimate bridge between the franchises, at least until you get far enough into the FF franchise to have Franklin and his mutant abilities come into play.
    I'm not sure if either Marvel or Fox even have the rights to Namor. I think Universal still might, since they were developing it for awhile.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    C'mon Mark - two heads are better than one.
    But is there enough room for an ego other than Millar's?

Well, the Fox movie universe could REALLY use an outline for their stories to follow. It always seems they're making up as they go, zero thought about how a story can get momentum for other movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast