Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Transformers 4 Script Leak And Spoilers Denied By Michael Bay

Administrator

Default Transformers 4 Script Leak And Spoilers Denied By Michael Bay

UPDATE: Michael Bay released the following official statement via his website:
    Some Internet sites this morning reported that some document recovery guy has found a legitimate 120 page script of Transformers 4. I can absolutely 100 percent say this is completely false. The only two people in the world that have our unfinished script are Kruger and myself. Also we are only up to page 70 in our T4 script. Maybe this guy has a cartoon or something else ? but definitely not our movie!
    Original story follows...It could be complete and utter bunk but Unleash The Fanboy are alleging to have read a leaked, 120-page script for the fourth Transformersand are splashing around a series of fairly disconnected spoilers. I have my doubts about the veracity of their report, largely due to what is missing - any sort of role for the "race car boyfriend", the context of who wrote this draft or when, a clear narrative structure.

Still, this could all be down to Fanboy's breathless scramble to just throw a post together and get it up, knowing they're sitting on something interesting but not really how to best present it. I could believe that.

So, supposing that is the case, what can we learn from their spoiling? The following, if based on an accurate report, will tear the lid off of many crucial plot points, so only read on if you're sure that you don't care.

Well, the big surprise for me is that the female lead, as reportedly set to be played by Nicola Peltz, is a version of Josie Beller.

Beller is a character from the Marvel run of Transformers comics - I don't know the legalities of using her, so let's sweep that under the carpet for now - and during her storyline, she became a cyborg known as Circuit Breaker. That transformation apparently happens here too.

In this version of events, Beller is 'upgraded' into a cyborg by accident while trying to escape an attack on a military base and some "weird robotic surgery" is initiated. Beller's father, to be played by Mark Wahlberg, is a Special Ops Sergeant so I'm guessing that's why she's there at the base in the first place. This is a totally different origin story for her to that in the comics.

Now, Beller is apparently so angry at being caught up in the attack that she goes on a rampage and slaughters loads of Transformers with her new cyborg abilities. She targets both Autobots and Decepticons because she can't tell the difference, though she does - somehow - work this out soon enough and sides with the Autobots.

The big war this time is started by Unicron, the huge, Galactus-scale evil Transformer. He's slowly creeping closer to Earth on a mission to change it into a giant metal Transformer planet, as all the while his minions run about down below, causing havoc. Why they don't just sit quietly and wait for him rather than draw the attention of the Autobots isn't entirely clear. Perhaps there's some unstated reason he couldn't just drift up and metal-ise the Earth without their input.

On the side of the good guys is Vector Prime, an ancient Autobot who arrives at Stonehenge through a big metal spaceship ball that can open up what sounds like a standard issue narrative Maguffin space-time portal.

Vector then teams up with Optimus on a mission to the volcano at Mount St. Helens. They're there to retrieve another Autobot, Primus, from what the report calls "space and time." A volcano can apparently help them do this. It must be all of the power in there, right?

This Primus is crucial because he's apparently the only one who can destroy Unicron. And so it is, of course: in the big climax, Primus "kicks" Unicron's "soul" out of his body and turns the metal corpse into a planet for the Autobots to live on.

While that battle is going on in space, Optimus is down on the Earth, beating up the resurrected Megatron - now uploaded into the body of Unicron's right hand bot, Galvatron. Gives him something to do, at least. Also, a new body might mean a new voice for Megatron and save Hugo Weaving and Michael Bay from having to work together on this.

There's a fan-pleasing twist to the description of this final battle. Things are getting quite tough for the Autobots and so they need to help of reinforcements from Verticus Prime's portal thing, and this is how Dinobots finally arrive in the cinematic Transformers universe.

There's nothing at all in the description about what Wahlberg's character has to do. Nor is there any apparent role for Josie Beller to play in the fight against Unicron and the Decepticons, where you might hope that she'd have a pay-off to her arc, at least. There's also no word, at all, of what the "race car driving boyfriend."

So either this is a totally subpar script lacking even the structure and focus of the previous three installments; it's been very badly related in the Fanboy report; or somebody somewhere has just made up some hooey.

I guess we'll now just have to sit tight and see how newly released information marries up to what we have here. If Josie Beller or Circuit Breaker is confirmed, I'd say we're on to a very pretty chance of this script report being accurate; if it also turns out that Wahlberg is playing a Special Ops. Sergeant, I'd say I might even start believing it myself.

I don't think anybody watches a Transformers film for the unexpected reversals, surprising character journeys and complex narrative interleaving. In a sense, all this report needed to say was Autobots, Circuit Breaker and Dinobots vs. Decepticons and Unicron and it would have communicated the same essential appeal.

Transformers 4, in some form or another, starts shooting in the Spring and is set, at the moment, for release in June 2014.

Edits: I have now corrected the name of the Circuit Breaker character. Meanwhile, Unleash the Fanboy have gone back and edited their story to sneak in references to the race car driver, the script's cover sheet and their source, no doubt having read my comments here.

Consultant of Cool

For fuck's sake. You know as well as anyone that this is 100% fake. We've had this rigmarole for all the Transformers films. Don't pretend otherwise.

Not least of all because MARVEL OWN CIRCUIT BREAKER.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    I have my doubts about the veracity of their report, largely due to what is missing - any sort of role for the "race car boyfriend", the context of who wrote this draft or when, a clear narrative structure.

So it's like any other Michael Bay Transformers movie?
    abcdiablo likes this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMcFeely View Post
    For fuck's sake. You know as well as anyone that this is 100% fake. We've had this rigmarole for all the Transformers films. Don't pretend otherwise.
    Have we? Really? Because I don't recall writing about "leaked scripts" on any of them before. And I'm not pretending, I'm being sincere.

I genuinely don't know what the legal situation is with Circuit Breaker. Do they own everything, including the name? Is there no possibility of a license?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lawless View Post
    So it's like any other Michael Bay Transformers movie?

I was waiting for this.

Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar

I'd say it sounds too terrible to be real but well.... it's Transformers.

As for Circuit Breaker, Marvel & Hasbro are pretty buddy-buddy. But still, there'd be no point if a licensing deal. Why go through that hassle, when the concept is so generic they could just as easily make up their own 'cyber-girl'. It's not like this a beloved character either that would get the die-hard fanbase interested.
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

Exceedingly Cool

I posted about this on my site (tflive.com). It reads like fan fiction and is essentially a "re-imagining" of Transformers: The Movie cartoon (can probably find it or large sections on YouTube). As for previous three films, if I recall all of them had at least one fake script leak. At this point, especially after Bay's laptop was stolen and other fan stuff he has got keeping secrets down to a JJ Abrams level. If anything accurate leaks it either because he wanted it too or because filming was done in a public (and therefore difficult to control) location. This is essentially how almost all the leaks on the previous films happened. An example of why think fake is the time travel bit involving Mt. Saint Helens which is the ship the Ark crashed into in the first cartoon episode way back when. It erupting in 1984 (cartoon time) is what wakes the Transformers on board. A Transformer geek (aka me) knows references like that but non-geeks would not. Nor care. From a writing perspective if a scene happens to involve a mountain, sure why not use the name as a nod. To actually make it a plot device...only fan fiction would do that.

As for Circuit Breaker I am not entirely sure. The character idea returned in Transformers: Regeneration as Circuit Smasher so there might be license issues on the name but I am betting that anything created then by Marvel for the Transformers comic series was still owned by Hasbro in the usual work for hire way that characters created for Marvel by various writers and artists is still owned by Marvel. So the copyright name of "Circuit Breaker" may not be available but the character idea would be theirs. Another example is some toys have names like "Autobot Jazz" instead of just "Jazz" because they had allowed the naming copyright to expire and were unable to regain it.
    Last edited by kingdom2000; 12-17-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Ferb Morgendorffer likes this.

just make it this movie, it will suck just as much as the others, make ass loads of money, and then do it again
    Blackfist likes this.

Having Unicron and Galvatron sounds pretty plausible, but other than that, I dunno. None of it sounds that out there, either for Bay or for TF as a franchise. Honestly though, I'd just like it to be out and done so Bay can fuck off and we can wait for the inevitable reboot in 5 years time, hopefully from a half decent director.

This is clearly fan fiction.

Vector Prime actually does travel thru space and time. In the various media, he appears in the multi verse, but in each universe, Vector is the same character.

Primus is not a random Autobot, but the creator of all Transformers. He is at the core of Cybertron, and its rather unlikely that Hasbro would allow Bay to mangle him this much as they have been trying to unify certain core aspects of the franchise across all media. Given the huge $60 toy of Primus not long ago, its unlikely they would recast such a key part of the mythos based on Bay's whims.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom2000 View Post
    I posted about this on my site (tflive.com). It reads like fan fiction and is essentially a "re-imagining" of Transformers: The Movie cartoon (can probably find it or large sections on YouTube). As for previous three films, if I recall all of them had at least one fake script leak. At this point, especially after Bay's laptop was stolen and other fan stuff he has got keeping secrets down to a JJ Abrams level. If anything accurate leaks it either because he wanted it too or because filming was done in a public (and therefore difficult to control) location. This is essentially how almost all the leaks on the previous films happened. An example of why think fake is the time travel bit involving Mt. Saint Helens which is the ship the Ark crashed into in the first cartoon episode way back when. It erupting in 1984 (cartoon time) is what wakes the Transformers on board. A Transformer geek (aka me) knows references like that but non-geeks would not. Nor care. From a writing perspective if a scene happens to involve a mountain, sure why not use the name as a nod. To actually make it a plot device...only fan fiction would do that.

As for Circuit Breaker I am not entirely sure. The character idea returned in Transformers: Regeneration as Circuit Smasher so there might be license issues on the name but I am betting that anything created then by Marvel for the Transformers comic series was still owned by Hasbro in the usual work for hire way that characters created for Marvel by various writers and artists is still owned by Marvel. So the copyright name of "Circuit Breaker" may not be available but the character idea would be theirs. Another example is some toys have names like "Autobot Jazz" instead of just "Jazz" because they had allowed the naming copyright to expire and were unable to regain it.
    Jazz is too difficult to copyright as a name, that's the only reason they went with Autobot Jazz. As far as the Marvel characters, Hasbro doesn't own the names for any of those, including Circuit Breaker.
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason ― Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast