Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posters For The Two New Ghibli Films For 2013

Administrator

Default Posters For The Two New Ghibli Films For 2013

Studio Ghibli have officially announced their films for 2013, one directed by each of their two keystone directors.

Hayao Miyazaki has adapted his own short manga The Wind Rises, telling the story of World War 2 fighter plane designer, Jiro Hirokoshi. Here's a poster from the film's official site, not featuring Hirokoshi but... his daughter? Wife? Sister?

And here's the first poster for Isao Takahata's Tale Of The Bamboo Cutter, from that film's site.

We've heard repeated rumours that these films were coming, but this at last makes it official - and drops the big surprise that the studio will once again release both Miyazaki and Takahata films not only in the same year but the same summer. Indeed, they may even be released as a double bill.

It's like 1988 and the "Best. Double Bill. Ever" release of My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies all over again.

It isn't clear from Eiga's announcement piece if this actually is a double bill, but I really do think it is.

However, in the West, we're likely to see them as two different films, and likely at two different times.

Wrote the Book on Cool MattMoylan's Avatar

Ghibli tackles a millennium-old sci-fi story? I'm there.
    Matt Moylan
    Managing Editor UDON Entertaiment
    Writer Bravoman
    Follow me on Twitter: @Lilformers

Myiazaki's approach to everything always has a wonderful way of feeling so refreshingly non-dangerous and non-edgy.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

That's good news. "Grave of the fireflies" is one of the movies that always makes me bawl with all floodgates open, maybe "Tale Of The Bamboo Cutter" will be equally as moving ('though maybe not all that tragic^^).

To be honest, I've yet to find a Ghibli film I didn't enjoy.
    PLEASE CONSIDER putting SilverSmurfer on ignore due to his factually incorrect and hysteric claim that "Uber" is a "historically revisionist nazi fantasy," and that we should boycott Avatar for it.
    Thank you for your Considerations.

A new movie by Takahata (my favorite Ghibli director by a wide margin)? Yes, PLEASE!!!

Too bad, the Miyasaki one will be the only one in cinemas for one or two weeks here in Germany

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post
    To be honest, I've yet to find a Ghibli film I didn't enjoy.
    "Ocean Waves" was only so-so. Everything else was top-notch.

気持ち悪い

Consultant of Cool

I thought Ocean Waves was pretty good, albeit short and below Ghibli's lavish standards for animation. It was a just a TV special, after all.

The only Ghibli film I actually disliked was Pom Poko. I found it obnoxious, badly structured and tremendously heavy-handed. Say what you will about Miyazaki's tendency to force environmental or anti-war messages down viewers' throats, but at least he never ended one of his movies with the main character talking directly to the audience and telling them what the message of the movie was in case they were too dumb to notice. I love Takahata's other movies, though, especially Only Yesterday, which just came out on Blu-ray in Japan. I already ordered it along with Kiki's Delivery Service, and I can't wait to watch both in HD.
    Last edited by shagamu; 12-13-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Administrator

The one I have the hardest time with is Earthsea.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    The one I have the hardest time with is Earthsea.
    I watched it expecting the worst, but ended up kind of digging the way Goro Miyazaki worked out his own issues with his father through the story. I also cut him slack because it was his first movie, and he directed it against his father's will. In Pom Poko's case, my expectations might have been too high because of Takahata's track record.
    Last edited by shagamu; 12-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Though I'd seen the odd Ghibli movie here and there it was Arietty that hooked me and my girlfriend and I have been buying all we can find here in the Middle East and loving them! Excited for two more coming soon!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Caltsoudas View Post
    Myiazaki's approach to everything always has a wonderful way of feeling so refreshingly non-dangerous and non-edgy.
    Agree completely! In this age of everything needs to be big dark and heart wrenching, it's great to see that drama can be light, moving and small (even when set against a huge tapestry-if that makes sense) and stillbe great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast