Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back To The Future Writer Bob Gale Withdraws Endorsement Of The Hoverboard

Administrator

Default Back To The Future Writer Bob Gale Withdraws Endorsement Of The Hoverboard

Earlier in the year, Bob Gale co-creator and screenwriter of the Back to the Future films endorsed a work-in-progress version of Mattel's hoverboard collectible. Looking back now, he recalls:
    I was convinced Mattel was going to do us - and themselves - proud, and that the final version would be something every fan would want to own... I put my money where my mouth was: I dropped a grand and ordered eight of them for myself.
    Money not well spent - if we spot a job lot of eight B-grade plastic skateboards without wheels on e-Bay anytime soon, we'll know where they came from becauseGale has seen the finished replica now and he's not happy.

His review, sent to the BTTF fansite, contains this sad lump of disappointment:
    The plastic stand is poorly designed and damn near impossible to make work. And although it was indicated that the board would somehow glide across certain smooth surfaces (like carpet), mine certainly didn't. I too thought the sounds the board makes were underwhelming. But I would have forgiven all of these things if they had just gotten the lenticular quality of the movie board correct.

This, in my opinion, is the product's biggest problem. It's supposed to be a prop replica so, at a $120 pre-sale price, it should look perfect. But it misses that mark. It's not a disaster?far from it: the colors, dimensions, weight are great with a solid build quality, and the box graphics are a lot of fun (even though it's missing the sticker that says ?warning: does not work on water!?).

And if it was $70, I'd give it an A. But at almost twice that price ($130 now), it is, at best, only a B. And dammit, I expected an A.
    A B grade seems a touch soft, but I don't think Gale is here to praise with faint damnation. He's apologising.
    I put myself out there to promote this, so now I want to publicly stand here with egg on my face and apologize.

This product, at this price, falls short of the top notch standards that you and I have come to expect for something that carries theBack to the Futurebrand. To those of you who bought one because of my endorsement and are upset with the product, I'm very, very sorry. Please accept my apology.

I share your disappointment, and you have permission to put my photo on a dart board and throw sharp objects at it.
    Never. Well, not this side of the Back to the Future stage musical anyhow.

Previously: a video review of the thing.

Exceedingly Cool

Mine has fucking creases in the decaling.

Consultant of Cool

Matty couldn't even get mine out to me. Sounds like I ended up better off.
    "Be nostalgic for now."

Co-creator of the Ogle Award-winning SF-Fantasy audio series, The Springheel Saga.
    www.facebook.com/TheSpringheelSaga

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'm definitely curious to see if Matty Collector will ever make any kind of formal declaration about this. I've been checking their message boards for a few months now. They used to at least reply to questions and criticism before the board came out. Even with the criticisms I didn't cancel mine. I was a bit annoyed when it got to the point the reviews started coming out showing scotch tape holding it together and creases in the graphics on top of all the other inaccuracies. There's been no sign of anyone from Mattel on those message boards in over a week.

It seems BTTF is just cursed when it comes to prop reproductions. I have a flux capacitor sitting next to my hoverboard that was made by Diamond, that more inaccuracies then I want to list, including lights that go in the wrong direction. Yet they didn't do jack shit about it. They did however release a non limited edition one where some issues (maybe just the lights actually) were fixed and charged less for it, really flipping the bird to those who bought the limited edition. So maybe Mattel will follow suit there.

Or they could give everyone who bought it 60 bucks back. Bob Gale believes it's worth 70 dollars. So give us 60 back, Matty Collector. Ha! Yeah, about as likely as a screendoor on a submarine.

Exceedingly Cool

Oh yeah that was amazing the week the boards were supposed to ship, Digital River cancels a ton of orders on accident and to get it reinstated you had to call because they couldn't legally charge you once they cancelled the order. I imagine after the bad reviews, a lot of people decided not to call.

MyinfiniteAbyss, I bet money we see this thing on sale for $65 in the next year on MattyCollector.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Oh yeah that was amazing the week the boards were supposed to ship, Digital River cancels a ton of orders on accident and to get it reinstated you had to call because they couldn't legally charge you once they cancelled the order. I imagine after the bad reviews, a lot of people decided not to call.

MyinfiniteAbyss, I bet money we see this thing on sale for $65 in the next year on MattyCollector.
    Ah ha, is this what happened? And how does one call from overseas?

In short, I'm nt going to. Too much has gone wrong for me to have any confidence in buying this.
    "Be nostalgic for now."

Co-creator of the Ogle Award-winning SF-Fantasy audio series, The Springheel Saga.
    www.facebook.com/TheSpringheelSaga

Exceedingly Cool

Apparently Matty emails you with reinstatement info if they cancelled your order.

I'm not royally pissed because I bought 2 [mini hoverboard edition] and sold one for a price that basically means my board cost me $50 but goddamn.

Seattle (as immortalized by Public Image Limited)

That's Matty Collector for ya.
    "Two and two continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five." - James McNeill Whistler

Wrote the Book on Cool JSayonara's Avatar

Mattel fucked up the Ghostbusters Mr Staypuft figure by using some shitty foamy stuff that yellowed overnight.
    That was a sixty odd bucks item.

After much umming and ahhing, they finally offered full refunds including the cost of shipping.

I kept mine when I realised I'd still be out of pockets thanks to the 20 Customs charge they wouldn't refund.

I've not dared take it out of the box since I bought it, because if it has yellowed/deteriorated I don't really want to know about it (yet) after spending 90 on it.
    One day, when money isn't such an issue, I'll take it out and see if I can fix it somehow.

Exceedingly Cool The Last Ronin's Avatar

The board is a huge piece of shit and I'm glad I canceled my order when the review sites started showing how poorly it was made.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast