Thread: Drive's Nicholas Winding Refn Chosen To Direct The Equalizer Movie With Denzel Washington

Administrator

Default Drive's Nicholas Winding Refn Chosen To Direct The Equalizer Movie With Denzel Washington

My memories of The Equalizer, the late 80s TV show about anex-Intelligence agent turned vigilante PI, are less to do with anyactual content, more to do with the fact that my Dad liked it so much.

Now that there's a film version coming, the one thing that keepscoming to mind is how much Carson Reeves at Scriptshadow likes thescreenplay, though he's yet to really tell us why. The one point hecites hardly sounds like genius, just some off-the-peg, screenwritingseminar stuff:
    McCall is always reading books. Eventually, we find out why. Hiswife was trying to read the "100 Books You Need To Read Before YouDie" before she passed away. So now McCall's doing it, as sort of anode to his wife. We have physical images (the book) to SHOW us keyMcCall backstory (that his wife died). Great writing!
    Seems like a pretty minor accomplishment to me.

Anyhow, this reputedly cracking script is by Richard Wenk, previouslyculpable for The Expendables 2, The Mechanic, and way back, the GraceJones bloodsucker movie, Vamp.

Denzel Washington has been attached to star for some time and has been meeting with a series of directors to see who he likes. Who he likes,apparently, is Nicholas Winding Refn, director of Drive, The PusherTrilogy and the upcoming Only God Forgives.

Refn is yet to sign on, but Variety say he's had an offer.

I like Washington and Refn clearly isn't just a hack-for-hire, butI'll need a bit of convincing to get my heart rate up for this onejust yet.

McCall was always reading. I supposed that was for the same reason I do : Liking to read books.

There is already a great Equalizer remake. It's called Person of Interest. I doubt there is need for another one in movie form. Too late.

Wrote the Book on Cool

One of the main things I like about the Equalizer is the retired British spy premise---the whole James Bond going street level thing. Going with Denzel sort of takes that specific iconography out of it. Pierce Brosnan or Gary Oldman or Liam Neeson would have been more appropriate for the material, in my opinion.

Wrote the Book on Cool

To me, the Equalizer will always be Edward Woodward. He's supposed to be this calm, older English gentleman who you know is actually a hard nut underneath. Denzel Washington's a great actor but I'm not sure he's right for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    To me, the Equalizer will always be Edward Woodward. He's supposed to be this calm, older English gentleman who you know is actually a hard nut underneath. Denzel Washington's a great actor but I'm not sure he's right for the part.
    The Equaliser - IIRC - always seemed like a natural progression from Woodward's role in Callan...

I think a movie would need the kind of gravitas he brought to it, but Washington can do that, if the script is written that way amd not as an SFX action-adventure extravaganza... The 'why he reads' shtick sounds like at least a small step in the right direction...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
    Keep the original theme tune and i may just forgive the mis-casting and go see it anyway!