Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tarantino Tells BAFTA He'd Like To Make A 30's Set Gangster Film - UPDATE

Administrator

Default Tarantino Tells BAFTA He'd Like To Make A 30's Set Gangster Film - UPDATE

Quentin Tarantino tonight presented Django Unchained at BAFTA in London tonight, the film's first screening in the UK. It was very well received indeed.

After the movie, he stayed to take part in a Q&A and that, as you might imagine, was also a real crowd pleaser, full of rapid-fire cinematic allusions and imagery.

The big headline quote, however, came when he teased where his ambitions lie at the moment. I imagine he'll be grilled about this comment for weeks, if not months, now.

Because, up there on stage, Tarantino suggested that he'd like to tackle a 1930's-set gangster story. A genre he's an expert on, no doubt. I certainly think I'd like to see him portray the depression.*

As to when he might do this... well, there are tweets out there from other attendees saying he wants to do it "next" but Tarantino certainly didn't say this on stage tonight. It was a future project, but where in the future? He wasn't even hinting.

UPDATE: Here's an exact quote:
    I could conceive maybe someday doing a 30's gangster picture, or something like that. I could think of doing another western, actually.
    Tarantino does seem to have picked up the pace a little recently. There's a lot of films rattling around in that head of his, I'm sure, and only so long before the possibility of shooting on his beloved analog, photochemical filmstock becomes prohibitively expensive.

*Maybe it won't be set in America. One of the better recent gangster films was Let the Bullets Fly, set in 1920's Sichuan. It won't have escaped Tarantino's notice.

I'd watch that, the soundtrack would be ace

I'm more excited for Django Unchained than The Hobbit - and a 1930s-style gangster flick by Tarantino, considering he made his name in the crime genre, sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm more excited for Django Unchained than The Hobbit - and a 1930s-style gangster flick by Tarantino, considering he made his name in the crime genre, sounds like a great idea.
    Well i better get this out of the way before anyone else because it's coming, who's Samuel L Jackson going to play as? Owner of a speak easy, Barber, Gangster?
    alekesam likes this.

I'd see it. I don't suppose there could be any truth to that rumor of him doing The Shadow from a couple years ago, could there?

I hope he does pick up the pace. He has the potential to be one of the great directors, he hasn't had the output.
    alekesam likes this.

I'd love to see Quentin's take on The Shadow (actually, I wouldn't mind his take on just about anything but my franchise of choice would be Goijira because I know he'd film it old school, with the giant sets and such) but if it's a choice between one of his own stories and someone else's, I prefer he do his own.

Zen Master of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

I can't go into these Tarantino talkbacks without cringing, waiting for some genius to say that Reservoir Dogs ripped off that shitty Japanese gangster film. When will that other shoe drop?!?!?

But actually, I'm not excited about hearing about the '30s gangster film idea, because Tarantino talks a lot of shit about stuff he's gonna do that he never actually gets around to doing. But whatever he does, I'll be excited about it. As soon as he leaks the script online, we will know what he's actually going to do next. And then try not to read it and fail.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I'd watch a 30s gangster film by Tarantino. His movies are great

Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Dinosaur View Post
    Ithat Reservoir Dogs ripped off that shitty Japanese gangster film.
    Hong Kong gangster film, and it isn't shitty. Double. Facepalm.

City on Fire (1987 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast