Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Jipp
  • 2 Post By Jipp
  • 1 Post By Hollow

Thread: Today's A Good Day To Buy The Indiana Jones Films On Blu-Ray

Administrator

Default Today's A Good Day To Buy The Indiana Jones Films On Blu-Ray

Back in September, all four Indiana Jones movies - and there were four, don't deny it - were reissued in a big Blu-ray box set. Today, that box set is going cheap on the US Amazon site - $39.99, down from an RRP of $99.98.

If you've never seen Crystal Skull in HD, it's possibly worth it for that alone. Some of the FX shots are truly hilarious.

All five discs in the set are region free, so if you want to import, go ahead.

Dean of Cool University

I got it for $50 at best buy 2 weeks ago. Oh well...

Consultant of Cool

I never understood the Internet hate that Crystal Skull gets, in my opinion it's still better than Temple of Doom.

I'd rank the movies like this: Crusade - Raiders - Crystal Skull - Temple of Doom.

Yeah, not a big fan of the second movie.

A dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jipp View Post
    I never understood the Internet hate that Crystal Skull gets
    Shia LaBeouf.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog View Post
    Shia LaBeouf.
    Well, I don't fully understand Shia LaBeouf hate either. Sure the Transformers movies suck (Bay's fault) and he's not the greatest of actors, but he's not that horrible either. The first film I saw from him was Disturbia, and that was alright.
    Krysmopompas and TheHulk like this.

Dean of Cool University

I never understood the Internet hate that Crystal Skull gets, in my opinion it's still better than Temple of Doom.

I'd rank the movies like this: Crusade - Raiders - Crystal Skull - Temple of Doom.

at the end of the day, it's an indiana jones movie. that's still a hell of a lot better than some of the pap out there.

that said, the movie was...OK. too much forced comedy, although the brody statue bit was funny. I had lower expectations for it than I did for episode 1 at the time of release. But steven can still make popcorn movies even when he has to deal with morons like Lucas.

Wrote the Book on Cool

I agree with the poster! Over time, I think that Crystal Skull will rank higher just like On Her Majesty's Secret Service is now regularly in the top 5 Bond films (as it should be). And Dalton's films are getting further up the list too (ditto).

IMO I'd put it as Raiders - Crystal Skull - Last Crusade - Temple.

As fun as Last Crusade was, it was mainly a comedy with less sense of danger, and more importantly was a re-hash of Raiders (Nazis and Christian artifacts).

Whether you like Crystal Skull or not, it tried something new and the fact that it acknowledged time passing and had interesting character changes was something to shoot for. Yes the 'fridge scene was silly and I wasn't a huge fan of The Beef in this one anyway, but I liked that they went for UFOs. Really matched the time period.

Hmm... I already bought the British set with all those nifty goodies (heck, the Grail Diary even acknowledged "The Fate of Atlantis")

True. So damn true. "Temple" is downright awful and just feels wrong on every level while "Crystal Skull" at least feels like an Indy movie.
    Yea, I'm not a fan of Shia (but liked him in "Disturbia" but that movie had David Morse in it which makes it good by default anyway ) and the Tarzan imitation was just bad (and bad CGI as well). The rest was pure Indy.
    TheHulk likes this.

気持ち悪い

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Hmm... I already bought the British set with all those nifty goodies (heck, the Grail Diary even acknowledged "The Fate of Atlantis")
    Ha, that game was awesome. Like pretty much all of the old adventure games from Lucasarts/Lucasfilm.

That's pretty much how I'd rank them too, tho' when I was a kid when these were coming out in the theater, I ranked them newest/best to oldest. Yes, somewhere along the way I thought ToD was better than Raiders, not sure why. Short-round?

Anyways, Connery and Ford's chemistry was spot on and I loved the interplay between the two combined with the humor. Crusade had that rare sweet spot of just enough humor and just the right mix of action and adventure. Awesome stuff. Raiders is the same way. Crusade felt like an Indy movie so for me, that was enough. It didn't bother me in the slightest about the whole alien thing.

ToD started out promising enough but just went off track somewhere. I could never put my finger on why it doesn't work as well for me. Too dark, perhaps? It's the middle of the movie where it hits a snag. Once it gets to the last bit, it picks up again and I'm cool again.

Well, I don't fully understand Shia LaBeouf hate either. Sure the Transformers movies suck (Bay's fault) and he's not the greatest of actors, but he's not that horrible either. The first film I saw from him was Disturbia, and that was alright.
    For me, it's not that Shia is a bad actor, let alone in Crystal Skull, I just hate when he plays tough guys because it comes across so fake, doubled by the fact that he pulls that crap in real life. So when he tries to act tough in Indy 4, it's off-putting.
    "Walking bones!"