Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Evidence Mounts For Steve Carell's Eleventh Hour Return To The Office

Administrator

Default The Evidence Mounts For Steve Carell's Eleventh Hour Return To The Office

As the final series of The Office moves along time is running out for some loose ends to be tied up. One pay off we've been promised is that the documentary crew, who have been filming the Dunder Mifflin-Sabre lot for the best part of a decade, are actually going to play a more active part in the story. I expect we'll find out what they were actually filming for - and I also expect it will be something unexpected.

Not quite the typing up of a loose end but an irresistible possibility nonetheless would be the return of Steve Carell as Michael Scott.

E! Online have some quotes from cast members that reveal, at the very least, that there have been discussions about Scott's return. Rainn Wilson said:
    There's talk of it. He's a very busy man and a huge movie star, so it's going to be a tough one. But we'll see what we can do."
    Meanwhile, Jenna Fischer offered:
    He's more than welcome and more than invited to come back. There's nothing confirmed, but everyone's fingers are crossed... There's a lot of things you have to work out in order to make that happen, but it would be great.
    Perhaps negotiations are underway, and maybe they've been taking place face-to-face.

Mindy Kaling deleted something of a clue from her Twitter feed today, but Popcultureology (viaPajiba) had a screen grab, so here it is:

I'll be glad to see him again.

Meanwhile, Ricky Gervais has recently said that David Brent definitely won't be putting in an appearance. He told Showbiz 411:
    I did it, there?s no need for more.
    Again, suits me fine. I know I'm at risk of losing my passport for saying this but I certainly prefer the US show to the UK one and Carell was always a good part of why.

Exceedingly Cool

It's the final season. Of course he's going to appear. You find me mounting evidence that he won't and I'll consider that a story.

Consultant of Cool

This season has been slightly better than the previous, but still far far from the best days.

At least they gave up on the horrible Dwight spin-off idea.

VP in Charge of Cool FunkyGreenJerusalem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Again, suits me fine. I know I'm at risk of losing my passport for saying this but I certainly prefer the US show to the UK one and Carell was always a good part of why.
    I wouldn't have thought a preference for the UK show was a matter of national pride, but rather professional pride!
    The US one is an inferior show - hey, it's funny enough for a US sitcom set in the work place, but putting the two side by side is like sitting The Thick Of It next to Veep, Couplings next to US Couplings or for less on the nose, MASH the movie next to that tv show. One is just better than the other.
    From the tightness of the script, the actors not mugging for laughs, the documentary crew (or the medium) affecting the behaviour of the characters at all times (most notably Brent), and every character becomes what they hated at the outset due to the documentary... as I say, the UK one is a superior work.

That said, the US one has it's moments and has a lot that's enjoyable, it's just a shame they named it the same thing so the comparison always has to be made - I doubt history will be as kind to it as the moment has been. Especially with the Post-Carrell episodes... it's like not just the star, but the very concept of the show, up and left.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post
    I wouldn't have thought a preference for the UK show was a matter of national pride, but rather professional pride!
    The US one is an inferior show - hey, it's funny enough for a US sitcom set in the work place, but putting the two side by side is like sitting The Thick Of It next to Veep, Couplings next to US Couplings or for less on the nose, MASH the movie next to that tv show. One is just better than the other.
    From the tightness of the script, the actors not mugging for laughs, the documentary crew (or the medium) affecting the behaviour of the characters at all times (most notably Brent), and every character becomes what they hated at the outset due to the documentary... as I say, the UK one is a superior work.

That said, the US one has it's moments and has a lot that's enjoyable, it's just a shame they named it the same thing so the comparison always has to be made - I doubt history will be as kind to it as the moment has been. Especially with the Post-Carrell episodes... it's like not just the star, but the very concept of the show, up and left.
    Right on. I'd just add that the main reason why the original UK show is superior is that it makes sense. Hopefully the US finale will finally explain why a documentary crew has been following the characters for 9 years, other than giving John Krasinski an opportunity to look at the camera in disbelief every time someone says or does something stupid. It's the closest thing the show has to a laugh track.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyGreenJerusalem View Post

I'm belligerently trying to find one single small thing in that post I can disagree with, and....I give up.

Wrote the Book on Cool winteriscoming's Avatar

I loved the British version and was down on the American Office when it first came out. Now, 9 years later, I like the U.S. one more. Granted, it isn't the same show and probably isn't even fair to compare them anymore.

If you said 'Milwaukee', you are CORRECTAMUNDO!

I love the UK show for the sharp, uncomfortable humor. I love the US show for the way it wore its heart on its sleeve. Two different approaches, but both worked for me.

VP in Charge of Cool Devil Dinosaur's Avatar

I could never sit through either of them. I don't understand how much people saying something embarrassing, everyone standing around looking awkward, and then cutting to the next scene where the same thing happens people can take.

Captain Cool

Have to agree with the above posters that loved both. They may have started out the same but they are two completly different things now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast