Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six Clips From The Hobbit - FIXED CLIPS

Administrator

Default Six Clips From The Hobbit - FIXED CLIPS

In no particular order, here are six excerpts from Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Something to keep you company until December 13th - here in the UK, or the 14th, over in the US.

As you'll see, Martin Freeman is doing an absolutely brilliant job and Ian McKellen... well, suffice to say, he's an old hand at this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_F30H0nsVk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNQZ7ZvH1W0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5wTn7wPto[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k19pqrm70Eo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkx2kcmoPVk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK-5mQA8sPU[/youtube]

Bleeding Cool's review of The Hobbit will be published on Sunday.

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

I'm still very wary of this whole project. Yes, it looks good and yes I think the Hobbit is a story that can make a wonderful film, but I'm not so sure that it will be enough for three films. Even if you film every little bit that is in the books and blow up the fighting scenes to last an eternity.

I'M especially worried about the third film, as it will supposedly consist of shots from the first two + added material that is supposed to come from the appendixes. Now, if they had just spent the money to get the right to the Silmarillion and the lost tales...

As inspiration, all those epic elven wars from the Silmarillion could be made into a whole series of movies. And considering how loosely and short some of those stories are told, a director and writer would have much more leeway to do his/ her own vision.
    Last edited by die-yng; 12-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.

Yeh same feeling...i'm already resistant to the idea of such a perfectly taut fantasy novel like The Hobbit being stretched out into two films, let alone 3 - some of these clips confirm there is going to be some filler.

If there's a single Tolkien work that would be least appropriate to manipulate into a franchise it is certainly the Hobbit...

However, it just comes down to whether Jackson can get the balance right between narrative and action..

It doesn't come out till boxing day here and im not rushing to see it, but maybe they're very confident..heaven knows they've had a massive wad of cash and plenty of time.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post
    Now, if they had just spent the money to get the right to the Silmarillion and the lost tales...
    Those rights are not for sale.

Oh - and there's material from the appendices in all three Hobbit films, as and where it goes, chronologically speaking.

I'm trusting Jackson to deliver three eminently watchable movies.

Even after King Kong.

Cheers

gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Those rights are not for sale.

Oh - and there's material from the appendices in all three Hobbit films, as and where it goes, chronologically speaking.
    How come they are not for sale? Does the Tolkien estate just sit on them?
    And I was aware that information from the appendices was used in all three movies, sadly so was a lot of bs like Aragorn running away from his status and other Jackson invented nonsense, but that doesn't mean we've seen any of what Thorin and Bard's people, not to mention Thranduil's elves have done during the war. I'm guessing that would be something that could be featured in the third movie.

Wrote the Book on Cool 0bsessions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by die-yng View Post
    I'm still very wary of this whole project. Yes, it looks good and yes I think the Hobbit is a story that can make a wonderful film, but I'm not so sure that it will be enough for three films. Even if you film every little bit that is in the books and blow up the fighting scenes to last an eternity.

I'M especially worried about the third film, as it will supposedly consist of shots from the first two + added material that is supposed to come from the appendixes. Now, if they had just spent the money to get the right to the Silmarillion and the lost tales...

As inspiration, all those epic elven wars from the Silmarillion could be made into a whole series of movies. And considering how loosely and short some of those stories are told, a director and writer would have much more leeway to do his/ her own vision.
    I'm not too concerned. There's so much content in the appendices that I don't see much issue padding out three films. It'll be interesting to see what Jackman does for padding considering how much he had to compress the LotR Trilogy.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Peter Jackson was asked about the Silmarillion and he candidly explained that they can't get the rights because the Tolkien family doesn't like the movies he's made from the Tolkien books.

Reviews of the Hobbit have started to appear (see Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety) and the 48 fps is getting hammered, including by fans who attended the premiere in New Zealand. Just Google it.

The reason they are appendices is because they don't belong in the main narrative. DUH!

It's called editing and it's probably unwise to attempt to undo that unless you are a literary genius.

All my memories of reading the Hobbit (twice) are of a narrative that never (never!) feels slow

or dragging...you are swept up and it's hard to stop reading.

At very best you would have to admit all the initial reviews are deeply mixed...cause enough for concern...frame rates aside!
    Last edited by hammerstein; 12-04-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast