Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness Poster Borrows Some Dark Knight Imagery - UPDATED

Administrator

Default Star Trek Into Darkness Poster Borrows Some Dark Knight Imagery - UPDATED

Do I really have to pull the pieces of this 'swipe file' together for you?

I'm sure I don't but here are the three key components anyway - the villain with his back to us, the logo shape made out of destruction and the flowing rubbery outfit.

You can count back further too, if you want.

Note: that's London, in the Trek poster. What a relief that Noel Clarke will probably get to keep his British accent for his role.

UPDATE: The film is ever so slightly animated on the official site. Wriggle your cursor around to make things crumble off.

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Still pretty badass.

I don't think it counts as an official swipe if you have to search for elements from different posters and then combine them together. It may fall under "looking for anything to compare it with" at that point.
    BELIEVE

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Reliant View Post
    I don't think it counts as an official swipe if you have to search for elements from different posters and then combine them together. It may fall under "looking for anything to compare it with" at that point.
    The list of people misunderstanding what a swipe is grows ever longer.

Look - it could be counted as a swipe of at least two of those posters on their own. That three of them are for the same film... you don't find that indicative of an interesting thought process by the marketers?

Wrote the Book on Cool hammerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Now there's a list nobody cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post

Look - it could be counted as a swipe of at least two of those posters on their own. That three of them are for the same film... you don't find that indicative of an interesting thought process by the marketers?
    Nope. There are similar things in everything, but when you have things with different angles, different poses, etc., from more than one source, it really stops becoming a swipe. Otherwise, pretty much everything from the past eighty years or so is a swipe of something else if you declare it so.
    Last edited by Reliant; 12-03-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
    BELIEVE

A bit disappointing, and yes, it falls into the trap of recombining elementsof posters of recent hits into something pretty generic (and notice how small "Star Trek" is compared to "Into Darkness;" I thought it was okay to be a Trekkie again?). Hopefully the final poster will be better, though we'll probably wind up with a montage or a lineup of heads again.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Am I the only one who wants to see a TREK film that is what TREK is supposed to be - "...to seek out new life and new civilizations and boldly go where no man has gone before...?"

Out of 11 films, perhaps 3, if that, fall under that.

Man
    Wrote the Book on Cool

Problem is that I don't get any "Star Trek" from the poster.

Could have been a poster for the Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNitekatt View Post
    Am I the only one who wants to see a TREK film that is what TREK is supposed to be - "...to seek out new life and new civilizations and boldly go where no man has gone before...?"

Out of 11 films, perhaps 3, if that, fall under that.
    I'd love to, but the best one of them all (Khan) is nothing like that, so that's what they want to copy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast