Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Details Of Scenes Featured In Amazon, The New Wonder Woman Pilot

Administrator

Default First Details Of Scenes Featured In Amazon, The New Wonder Woman Pilot

Back when David E. Kelley was working on his Wonder Woman pilot we got a hold of the script and learned about a scene that would soon become infamous.

Kelley wrote a sleepover scene in which Diana put on her PJs, gorged on ice cream and had a heart to heart with her best friend, Myndi.

It wasn't a scene that pleased her long-standing comic book fans too much.

So as details start to break regarding a new Wonder Woman show, with different creatives, for a different network, the last thing you'd expect is another controversial "ice cream" scene.

Well... Er... I don't really know how to break this to the internet.

A few friends of Bleeding Cool, including Wonder Woman TV, have their hands on audition sides for the show. These pages detail two scenes that the candidate actresses will be asked to perform when they come in to test.

One of the scenes is completely and totally about ice cream, and how amazing it is.

This was hinted at in the official blurb, but it seems to be an entire scene of the pilot script: when Diana first tastes ice cream, it blows her mind.

You know, personally, I can kind of swing with this. Evil forces conspired to keep ice cream out of my life for a few months and when I got back to it, the ensuing emotional explosion was quite like something from an American TV drama.

So, by episode four we can expect Diana to weigh 250 pounds, right? I mean, you've got to follow your concepts through, and if she's really this into ice cream...

The other scene takes place on Diana's home island, and reveals an early encounter with Steve Trevor, the pilot who lands there and makes her aware of the larger world beyond her shores. It's a kind of interrogation scene, with Diana once again getting her mind mashed in by crazy details of those odd off-island people and what they get up to.

There's apparently little joshing about her tying him to a chair, and the scene appears to be written with an eye on stirring up sexual chemistry between the characters - just a little.

It seems that Amazon will go ahead if Warner Bros. TV and the CW are confident they've found the right girl - tall, handy with a lasso, really loves ice cream and not scared of flying. Could it be you?

I suspect the vast majority of people who tried ice-cream for the first time had their minds blown. Since Diana wouldn't have had ice-cream until she left her magic island this all seems to make sense. I'm failing to see the controversy?

Wrote the Book on Cool DarkKnightJared's Avatar

Eh...at this point, I'd say at least an apprechiation for ice cream is a core part of her character:

And personally, what bothered me about Kelley's project was more of her just cold-bloodedly murdering people.

If you really want to stir controversy on WW you need to find out if she will be wearing trousers or not? I personally couldn't care less, but you will get more anger than with WW likes ice-cream.

Consultant of Cool

It's not about the ice cream. It's about how for no other reason than the hero is female, the first place the writers go is stereotypical 1950s-1960s teenage girl imagery like sleepovers and ice cream. No doubt beauty makeovers will follow after that. Out goes the idea of presenting the most formidable and enduring female superhero in favor of cutesy signifiers to make sure no one misses the point that "it's okay, she isn't intimidating, she's just a girl after all!" Because for some reason it would be weird to write her like a grownup and use that as a starting point.

Of course someone could write a scene of Bruce Wayne trying ice cream for the first time. Or Oliver Queen overeating and getting drunk after a breakup. Or Clark Kent and Pete Ross having a sleepover when they were kids. But people's minds don't go there, and you probably just snickered at how totally gay that sounded. The natural thought in writing tv stories for male heroes is not to undercut them but "how can we make them more formidable and impressive?" But when it's Wonder Woman, the first impulse is "How can we depict her as a naive innocent, and make people think of her as symbolically a teenage girl instead of as a superhero so she won't be too scary?"

Quote Originally Posted by uz000 View Post
    If you really want to stir controversy on WW you need to find out if she will be wearing trousers or not? I personally couldn't care less, but you will get more anger than with WW likes ice-cream.
    Maybe she has them but takes them off when her cornet dribbles on them...?

(That sounds pervier than I expected it to...)

I find myself with a grudging admiration for Warner's apparent grim determination to see this show delivered, even when some omens are less than encouraging...

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnightJared View Post
    Eh...at this point, I'd say at least an apprechiation for ice cream is a core part of her character:

And personally, what bothered me about Kelley's project was more of her just cold-bloodedly murdering people.

The best part of this is that it's continued in Az Wonder Woman book when they have Hera try ice cream for the first time and is amazed by it.

Zen Master of Cool

I agree. Ice cream is good.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ellis Day View Post
    It's not about the ice cream. It's about how for no other reason than the hero is female, the first place the writers go is stereotypical 1950s-1960s teenage girl imagery like sleepovers and ice cream. No doubt beauty makeovers will follow after that. Out goes the idea of presenting the most formidable and enduring female superhero in favor of cutesy signifiers to make sure no one misses the point that "it's okay, she isn't intimidating, she's just a girl after all!" Because for some reason it would be weird to write her like a grownup and use that as a starting point.

Of course someone could write a scene of Bruce Wayne trying ice cream for the first time. Or Oliver Queen overeating and getting drunk after a breakup. Or Clark Kent and Pete Ross having a sleepover when they were kids. But people's minds don't go there, and you probably just snickered at how totally gay that sounded. The natural thought in writing tv stories for male heroes is not to undercut them but "how can we make them more formidable and impressive?" But when it's Wonder Woman, the first impulse is "How can we depict her as a naive innocent, and make people think of her as symbolically a teenage girl instead of as a superhero so she won't be too scary?"
    Damn, you got that from one short scene? Who says she isn't going to be shown as a formidable and enduring female in the show? I would wager the start of the pilot presents her in that manner. The pilot supposedly having "cutesy signifiers" doesn't negate the character's portrayal as a formidable warrior/character.

As for Wonder Woman being portrayed as naive, that kinda goes with the character and the story. She's a warrior from an archaic group of people coming to an unfamiliar highly advanced world. Of course she'd be naive. Any fish-out-of-water character would be. You saw those elements in Thor.

There has to be these kind of moments in these types of stories, be the lead male or female. I don't think it has anything to do making a female character less scary. I think it's more about humanizing them or bringing them down to Earth. I mean, you don't want to watch a humorless character who isn't floored by the wonders of a modern world or has a scowl on their face every week, do you?

Consultant of Cool

Seems very close to the comics origins and also the old tv show origin where it all starts bec. Steve crashes into paradise island.
    As for Diana liking ice cream, it is believable since ice cream with refined sugar, saturated fat and flavors is very addictive. Ice cream has killed many Americans and has caused America to waste the most money on health care in the world. Ice cream has no micro nutrients like in vegetables and mushrooms to prevent diseases and ice cream just makes people overeat on calories causing many diseases.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 12-01-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast