Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back To The Future Hoverboard Video Review: "Let Me Show You How The Actual Hovering Works"

Administrator

Default Back To The Future Hoverboard Video Review: "Let Me Show You How The Actual Hovering Works"

Produced by Mattel as one of their premium Matty Collector lines, the Back to the Future 2 hoverboard showed up at Comic Con this summer in a work-in-progress version. It's now all finished, and on Monday, pre-orders will be shipping.

Below is a pretty exhaustive video review of the finished board. Perhaps the key bit comes at 12 minutes and 20 seconds:
    Let me show you how the actual hovering works... it's kind of utilising those same type of little plastic pieces that are meant to hover over carpet. If you've got a nice carpeted floor you can lay the hoverboard down then give it a little push and it does kind of have this little floating type look across the carpet. Now it doesn't go very far, as you can see it does kind of get to a stop... it's not really hovering above the ground, it's not floating, but since it's got the motion sensored sounds in there, every time you push it, you've got the little whoosh...
    And carpet is key. The reviewer tried his board on a hardwood floor and scuffed it upwith a single shove. To which I can only really say:
    Hey PixelDan, you bozo, those boards don't work on hardwood.
    No. Not even if you've got power. Try butter, maybe. Olive oil. Or Tom Cruise's socks from Risky Business.

If you've already spent your $130 on this thing, yours will ship on Monday. Those who order now will be waiting until later in December.

Dean of Cool University

I think I could probably achieve a similar effect by fixing two axles to the underside of the board - one at either end - and fixing a small round object to each end of them. With these "wheels", I think I might be able to get it to go even further than just a few feet.

Great Scott!

Exceedingly Cool

$130 dollars for a plastic "hover board" that doesn't hover?

....and how long did it take to develope a plastic board that slides for a bit on carpet and makes a whooshing sound??
    Musings and more on Marvel's Bronze Age from 1972 to 1980.

http://mightyworldofbronzeagemarvel.blogspot.com/

Very Cool

That sure looks premium to me. With all the quality and care of a Barbie toy!!!

Consultant of Cool

Awaits postman...
    "Be nostalgic for now."

Co-creator of the Ogle Award-winning SF-Fantasy audio series, The Springheel Saga.
    www.facebook.com/TheSpringheelSaga

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Ugly, over-priced, and not functional? For only $130??

They forgot the most important tag on the cover, The board doesn't hover over water.

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Dean of Cool University MWEDMER's Avatar

You have to be a trogladite to actually spend your money on this garbage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast