Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sympathy For Lady Vengeance Getting US Remake From William Monahan And Charlize Theron

Administrator

Default Sympathy For Lady Vengeance Getting US Remake From William Monahan And Charlize Theron

It may be the least of his so-called revenge trilogy but Chan-Wook Park's Sympathy For Lady Vengeance is a monster of a film. There are a few shots in this one that number amongst my favourite in all of the great man's career. I wish we could discuss them here without spoiling the film for people.

The film has been set for an American remake - as with Oldboy, the previous of Park's pictures, which Spike Lee is doing over right now.

William Monahan, who translated Infernal Affairs into The Departed for Martin Scorsese, is adapting the film - though at the moment, Variety's story doesnt make it clear if he's directing or just writing.

I know some hardline Asian movie nuts who might get a little rankled by Monahan's involvement. The ones I remember thumping tubs over The Departed. For years.

Also perturbed, I expect, will be most people who ploughed through Monahan's rather unsatisfying directorial debut,London Boulevard.

Annapurna pictures are now on board to produce and fund this new Lady Vengeance.Charlize Theron is another producer, and will also star in the lead role of a woman convicted for murdering a schoolboy, but now apparently reformed and released.

The plot hinges on the fact that the character was actually innocent all along, and spent her years in jail scheming - and now that she's free, she can set about exacting her revenge on the true culprit.

In the director's cut of the original film, the image slowly desaturates from plump and juicy primary colours to a black and white climax. It's just one of Park's bold visual strategies employed in the film.

I dare say Monahan will have some of his own. He's certainly making some other changes, telling Variety:
    This will be very American - and very unexpected. Park is a genius; it's the Everest of adaptations and I've got blood in my teeth to do it.
    Ferocious. And he'll need to be.

Theron first revealed a stake in this remake four years ago. It's encouraging that she's kept with it all this time.

It's one of my favorite movies, so I doubt it'll be as good or have the same gutpunch effect as the original, but I think Charlize can do it justice. We'll see.

VP in Charge of Cool

Ugh. Just watch the original's people.

Seriously.

Is it really that hard to read subtitles?

Quote Originally Posted by AnomanderRake View Post
    Ugh. Just watch the original's people.

Seriously.

Is it really that hard to read subtitles?
    Is it really so bad to have two goods movies instead of one? The Departed is great, better than Infernal Affairs.

VP in Charge of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Is it really so bad to have two goods movies instead of one? The Departed is great, better than Infernal Affairs.
    Yes, it's boneheaded.

And INFERNAL AFFAIRS is way better than Scorsese's pile...but that's because it doesn't act like its shit doesn't stink the way THE DEPARTED does.

You also assume that an English remake would be better...when history has proved that almost 90% of the time this is not remotely true.

I realize you LOVE to just present the opposing viewpoint Joe, but sometimes you ought to draw the line yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by AnomanderRake View Post
    Yes, it's boneheaded.

And INFERNAL AFFAIRS is way better than Scorsese's pile...but that's because it doesn't act like its shit doesn't stink the way THE DEPARTED does.

You also assume that an English remake would be better...when history has proved that almost 90% of the time this is not remotely true.

I realize you LOVE to just present the opposing viewpoint Joe, but sometimes you ought to draw the line yeah?
    When did I assume an English remake would be better? I'm just saying there's no reason it can't be good. I love The Departed and thinks it's much deeper and better looking than Infernal Affairs.

And if it does end up bad, who cares? It doesn't diminish the original in any way.

It doesn't, but when you're trying to sell someone on seeing the original and they have this bad (or subpar) remake in their heads, it makes it harder to get them to give it a try. Not to mention people have a tendency to know the remake more than the original. So a theoretically good film is being overshadowed by a crappy one. That's at least partly (in my opinion) why so many people were against BW (besides the whole Alan Moore thing) is because someone may read BW, think it's $#!t, and not read the original based off of what they thought of BW.
    "Walking bones!"

Bleeding Cool

I didn't much care for The Departed. Wahlberg and Nicholson were good, but the DiCaprio/Damon dynamic seemed roughly as interesting as the power struggle between a Hugo Boss sweater and a pair of Armani jeans.

I'd be totally up for a Spike Lee remake of Oldboy, though, if it ever sees the light of day.
    Last edited by Ian Coke; 11-28-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alekesam View Post
    It doesn't, but when you're trying to sell someone on seeing the original and they have this bad (or subpar) remake in their heads, it makes it harder to get them to give it a try. Not to mention people have a tendency to know the remake more than the original. So a theoretically good film is being overshadowed by a crappy one. That's at least partly (in my opinion) why so many people were against BW (besides the whole Alan Moore thing) is because someone may read BW, think it's $#!t, and not read the original based off of what they thought of BW.
    You guys are all basing your complaints on the assumption that it won't be good, which I find odd.

If it was up to you we wouldn't have A Fistful of Dollars or The Magnificent Seven, and the world would be poorer.

Dean of Cool University Grendel's Avatar

Charlize involvement means it will be worth seeing. I bet it will be great also. Love the original.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast