Thread: New Sci-Fi Thriller, Story Of Your Life, Has A Great Concept And Fresh Funding

Administrator

Default New Sci-Fi Thriller, Story Of Your Life, Has A Great Concept And Fresh Funding

Patrick Dane writes for Bleeding Cool

I love a good sci-fi concept and here's a new one for us, fromTed Chiang's novella,Story of Your Life: A linguistis hired by the US government to decipher the language and thereforefigure out the intentions of an alien race that have recently landedon earth.

That is a pretty suspenseful setup and if it goes the way I very muchthink it might, it could well offer a meaningful statement on oursociety and need to communicate, to overcome language and culturalbarriers.

Deadlineare reporting that Filmnation Entertainment and Lava Bear Films are tofinance the film adaptation ofStory of Your Life. The moviewill be directed by comercialdirector Nic Mathieu and has been scripted by Eric Heisserer.

Heisserer has been tweeting and he is clearly excited about the project.
    I spent a year adapting Chiang's beautiful "Story of Your Life" on spec, proving the rule: follow your passion.

? Eric Heisserer (@HIGHzurrer) November 27, 2012
    Filmnation's Aaron Ryder added:
    If you look at Ted Chiang?s powerful source material, howdeftly Eric and the team at 21 Laps handled the adaptation, and whatNic?s vision brings to the film, it?s no surprise that there?s been somuch competitive interest.
    And now, I expect, film geek interest too.

I love a good sci-fi concept and here's a new one for us
    That's one of the oldest premises in the aliens have landed book. To Serve Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spent a year adapting Chiang's beautiful "Story of Your Life" on spec, proving the rule: follow your passion.
    I'm pretty sure Hollywood success stories are exceptions to the rule. But I'm glad he got lucky and had the talent and drive necessary to make that luck count.

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Casanova Rousseau View Post
    That's one of the oldest premises in the aliens have landed book. To Serve Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The summary doesn't really do justice to the story. "Story of Your Life" is less about translating an alien language than it's about coming to understand a completely alien conception of time and causality. I remember it being pretty great.