Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Plot Blurb For Star Trek Into Darkness

Administrator

Default Official Plot Blurb For Star Trek Into Darkness

We're just a couple of weeks away from the first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness, as well as the IMAX-exclusive nine minute prologue. Personally, I was expecting that to be the next we saw or heard about the thing, but Paramount issued an official blurb while I was sleeping.

And now I've woken up and pinched myself, it's still there. So here it is.

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takesStar Trek Into Darkness.

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.

With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

That's tri-dimensional chess, I'd hope.

Now, let's pick that blurb apart a little.

This "unstoppable force of terror" and "one man weapon of mass destruction" would seem to be Gary Mitchell, the Starfleetlieutenant commander gone rogue.

In the original series he was an old friend of Kirk's, sent on a mission to the very edge of the universe where some odd phenomenon called "the galactic barrier" unlocked his incredible psychic powers and left him thinking he was a god. He was actually close enough.

Mitchell certainly came "from within their own organisation," so that's a pretty clear indicator too.

The TV Mitchell faced Kirk, for the final time, on a planet called Delta Vega. I don't know if you could call it "a war-zone world" but that might simply be dramatic escalation for the movie version.

Also note how the blurb ends with this:

the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Which seems to suggest his mother has died between the films, or in fact dies during this one. We didn't see much of her in the first film but she seemed to have been left alive simply because nobody addressed her death. Maybe she's a victim of "our world" being left "in a state of crisis."

It all sounds like a big Gary Mitchell story to me, and Benedict Cumberbatch would seem to be bang-on casting for a character with such amplified mental faculties (cf. Sherlock).

Everybody in the world sent this to me this morning, but it seems that The Film Stage were the ones who dug it up first while rooting around Paramount's press materials.

If it's Gary Mitchell they completely lied about the IDW comic series being in continuity, since they did the Gary Mitchell story already.

It's not going to be Gary Mitchell.
    BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    If it's Gary Mitchell they completely lied about the IDW comic series being in continuity, since they did the Gary Mitchell story already.
    This was my first thought, too. I wonder if Khan (or someone Khan-like) is a Starfleet experiment or something in this new timeline.

In another forum, people were complaining about how dark this Trek was turning. The Dark Trek Rises, someone said.

The it hit me..

What if... this movie series turns out to be the origins of the Mirror Mirror universe?

Eh. I want to say the ep established the timeline schism far in the past. Though maybe Quinto looks good in a goatee.

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    In another forum, people were complaining about how dark this Trek was turning. The Dark Trek Rises, someone said.

The it hit me..

What if... this movie series turns out to be the origins of the Mirror Mirror universe?

Eh. I want to say the ep established the timeline schism far in the past. Though maybe Quinto looks good in a goatee.
    Not a bad guess and an interesting one, but since the supposedly in continuity IDW series just started a Mirror Universe story last week, unlikely. Quinto does look pretty good in the goatee he's sporting on the cover.

Consultant of Cool

I don't think the movie guys really care about the IDW comics being in continuity or not. They're gonna do their multimillion dollar movie without regard as to anything the comics might have done.

What confused me was this line: "...an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for..." So wait, something blew up the fleet, and also blew up everything the fleet stands for...?

Zen Master of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
    I don't think the movie guys really care about the IDW comics being in continuity or not. They're gonna do their multimillion dollar movie without regard as to anything the comics might have done.

What confused me was this line: "...an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organisation has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for..." So wait, something blew up the fleet, and also blew up everything the fleet stands for...?
    Except that the movie guys have said that the IDW series is in continuity and that Orci and Kurtzman were going to consult on it to make sure it stayed in continuity. I acknowledge that they can change their minds; but until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll go with their original statements.

Quote Originally Posted by cartoonistaaron View Post
    Considering that one of the main movie guys (writer Bob Orci) is overseeing the IDW comics, it's not so much about them being in continuity as it is about them not getting ahead of the new movie. A few Easter Eggs for Star Trek XII have been been apparently dropped here and there in various issues, but they're supposedly things that won't be realized until hindsight (after the movie has been seen).
    BELIEVE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast