Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brendon Connelly

Thread: Lots Of The Criterion Collection Going Cheap In So-Called CyberMonday Sale

Administrator

Default Lots Of The Criterion Collection Going Cheap In So-Called CyberMonday Sale

There are very many films in the Criterion collection that would be an asset to any DVD or Blu-ray shelf. At the moment, a good number of them are shockingly cheap too.

You can sift through a whole list of Criterion titles at Amazon yourself right now, and probably do yourself a lot of dollar-damage. I should probably point out some of the more notable offers, however.

David Fincher's film of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is going for $5.99 on Blu-ray right now. Many will consider that a worthy purchase just for the epic 'making of' documentary included.

You can pre-order Brazil, the greatest film in the history of cinema, for just $20.99 ahead of its December 4th release. That's down from $49.95.

Chris Nolan's debut Following is just $20.99, also a pre-order ahead of the December 11th street date.

Godzilla is just $17.99, as is Hal Ashby's tremendous Harold and Maude.

If you want some Wes Anderson, I'd recommend Rushmore at $17.99, though the rest of his back catalogue is also going pretty cheap too.

I've spent an awful lot at Amazon this last weekend. I only hope it all arrives ahead of Christmas, so I can kick back and gorge myself.
    Victorian Squid likes this.

Wrote the Book on Cool

It's like Amazon is punishing people who went for the Barnes&Noble sale. Luckily I was able to cancel my B&N orders for Brazil, Following and Purple Noon, but lost a couple bucks each on Royal Tenenbaums, Quadrophenia and Down By Law. Lost the most on Rosemary's Baby which cost 24.99 at release just a few weeks ago. I definitely need to just stop buying Criterions from Amazon until sales. Example, the preorder price right now on On The Waterfront is a whopping 41.99??? I miss the good ol' days of Amazon.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

You can pre-order Brazil, the greatest film in the history of cinema...
    Yes it is. One of my top 5 at any rate. Any idea what comes on the blu ray and how many versions?

EDIT: Read the extras and everything, this will hopefully arrive right around my birthday too. Ordered!
    Last edited by Victorian Squid; 11-26-2012 at 12:58 PM.

My blu ray of Brazil was shipped, I almost forgot I had ordered it. The last time I pre-ordered a movie was Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker in 2000.

Got blu ray Brazil in the mail today. Watching it now with the Gilliam commentary on, which I've never heard before. It's really fascinating hearing how such a perfect movie like Brazil came together. The sets and special effects, so much ingenuity before everything was CGI. How much of Tuttle came from Deniro's ideas. I've loved this film since I saw it first run in the theater.

Gilliam just said (in the commentary), when talking about the levels of detail and information they put in each scene, that as a result for some people the film can be like an archaeological dig--brilliant way of expressing it.
    Last edited by Victorian Squid; 12-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.