Thread: Merlin Spin-Off Planned - But Without The Original Creators

Administrator

Default Merlin Spin-Off Planned - But Without The Original Creators

As the BBC's Merlin comes to a close at the end of series five this Christmas, the show's original creatorsJohnny Capps and Julian Murphy will be leaving Shine TV to start their own production company and create something new.

But even though they'll be leaving the boy wizard behind, it doesn't necessarily mean curtains for this particular televisual take on Camelot.

According to Broadcast, Shine are developing a possible spin-off show set in that same world. I know so little about the original I can't even guess what a new series might entail. The further adventures of The Great Dragon? Broadcast can only say that characters from Camelot would be featured. Plural.

Capps and Murphy seem okay for Shine to carry things on:
    It has been a wonderful five years with Merlin and ten overall with Shine, but we have always had the ambition to branch out ourselves at some point and now feels the time to take that leap. We do so with great memories, respect and best wishes for our Shine colleagues and in the knowledge that if there were to be any subsequent adventures, the world of Camelot is in safe hands.
    If the show does get commissioned, it will be made by Shine's imprint Kudos, previously responsible for Spooks, Ashes to Ashes and Life on Mars, Lip Service and, just now, Hunted.

Zen Master of Cool AnomanderRake's Avatar

The Arthur Mythos is so insular, and presuming the show ends on what it should end on, Arthur's death and the subsequent descent of Albion into darkness, infighting, and war...I can't imagine what a spin off would entail....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AnomanderRake View Post
    The Arthur Mythos is so insular, and presuming the show ends on what it should end on, Arthur's death and the subsequent descent of Albion into darkness, infighting, and war...I can't imagine what a spin off would entail....
    Well remember, how dead Arthur ends up varies from legend to legend. If they take the "brought to Avalon to recover" route, they could get into the "future" part of the Once and Future King's reign, with a modern or later setting. Or they could just stick with some of Arthur's followers after Camelot's fall, but it would probably be a much darker show.

Edit: Actually, now that I think of it, the show is called "Merlin" so it may not go all the way to Camlann. They could end it with Merlin loosing his powers and/or being trapped in a cave/tree, though with no Nimueh gone for so long who knows if that will happen in this version.
    Last edited by nivekious; 11-26-2012 at 11:38 AM.