Thread: Shawn Ryan Planning US Version Of Brit TV Show Mad Dogs

Administrator

Default Shawn Ryan Planning US Version Of Brit TV Show Mad Dogs

I'm not a Sky TV subscriber and so I never saw Mad Dogs, the mid-life crisis crime drama with John Simm, Marc Warren, Phillip Glenister and Max Beesley. Here's a trailer for the first of its two seeries, and if you watch this, you'll know just about as much about the show as I do.

Seems pretty British, not least because of the Majorca setting - and that title isn't an accident, it's from a Noel Coward song about Englishmen. Nonetheless, Digital Spy caught wind of a US remake.

Shawn Ryan, of The Shield and Terriers and the upcoming Beverly Hills Copsequel TV show was a guest on Kevin Pollak's online chat show, and he dropped early word of aMad Dogs do-over:
    I'm working with a British writer - Cris Cole - who had a mini-series in Great Britain called Mad Dogs that we're looking to make as a mini-series over here.
    And that's it. No more details as yet, though I can only assume the lead characters will still have to be Brits for the basic concept to make sense.

Now, I don't want to prejudge Mad Dogs or Chris Cole but the only other piece of his work I've got any kind of familiarity with is Love Bite, the recent Werewolf comedy that received the most insultingly meagre of UK cinema releases.

You may have seen the trailer here a couple of weeks back, and maybe one or two of you will have seen the film. If so, I'd be fascinated to hear more - I didn't get anywhere near a cinema, and maybe not even a town, where the film was screening.

Wrote the Book on Cool

Having listened to that PodCast I'm now on a Shield rewatch . . .

Wrote the Book on Cool

It seems like the US is no longer capable of creating creative stories for tv. They're even stealing reality shows now. How low can they go?

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Doordoor123 View Post
    It seems like the US is no longer capable of creating creative stories for tv. They're even stealing reality shows now. How low can they go?
    Everywhere has been stealing reality shows from everywhere else for years, I don't see where "now" comes into it.

Also, how does this in any way relate to the story? Mad Dogs, as stated in the very first sentence, is a drama.