Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Bird Says He Isn't Directing Star Wars While Colin Trevorrow Appears To Say He Is

Administrator

Default Brad Bird Says He Isn't Directing Star Wars While Colin Trevorrow Appears To Say He Is

The nerdosphere's favourite pick to take up the megaphone for Star Wars Episode 7 seemed to be Brad Bird, even in the face of great evidence that he's not involved and busy with his own science fiction picture, 1952 or Tesla or whatever they end up calling it.

Bird has been drawn on the issue, finally, and he's taken to Twitter to dispute the rumours.
    ?@rsavenell: You are on people's lists as top choice for Star Wars, yet haven't confirmed. Please end this tease!?Not doing Star Wars.

? Brad Bird (@BradBirdA113) November 18, 2012
    Some folk seem to have taken the 'news' pretty badly. Having said that, I'm surprised that it could have gone anything like this far with people thinking there was any hope Bird had the gig in the face of all available evidence.

Indeed, I'm a little surprised that people haven't just taken it as read that Colin Trevorrow is involved. Whether or not he's directing, Trevorrow is definitely somehow tied into the project.

And he's known it for some time.

This following video dates back to June. You'll want to watch the section that starts at 21:45 or just the transcript from underneath (with thanks to Film School Rejectsfor doing the work).

I can?t speak with any specificity as to what the next thing will be. There are amazing opportunities that have arisen as a result of this. One of them, I will say, will probably create a good deal of ire against me on the Internet when people find out what it is. So, I just want to say in advance that I promise you, for all those who love the mythology that I will be tackling, trust that I love it as much as you do. And I will respect it, and hopefully make it not suck.
    It is worth noting that Trevorrow doesn't explicitly say he's directing; that he does have writing experience; and that Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have mentioned there being multiple writers involved, somehow.

An official announcement can't be too far away now. Unless there are contracts to be signed, there's no point dragging the pretense on any longer, surely?

Trevorrow's charming debut feature,Safety Not Guaranteed, is available on Blu-ray, DVD and VOD in the US now and will open in UK cinemas for Christmas. Check it out.

"Indeed, I'm a little surprised that people haven't just taken it as read that Colin Trevorrow is involved."

Maybe that's because they're too busy saying 'Who the hell's Colin Trevorrow?'
    "Flippin' 'eck, Tucker!"

Consultant of Cool

I'm in the apparent minority, but I thought Safety Not Guaranteed severely was over-hyped.

Was I the only one who read Brad Bird as "Big Bird" in the title?

Dean of Cool University Gabriel's Avatar

@colintrevorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Trevorrow
    To clarify, there is another film we all love that I'm currently trying not to mess up. Odds I will direct Episode VII: 3720 to 1.

He also said on Twitter that he'd be the second person in line for Star Wars behind Brad Bird. Another questioner asked him to clarify if he meant that he would NOT be directing Episode VII and he said yes.

Well that's another rumour scotched. What are the odds that it will be Lucas sporting an unconvincing disguise?

Bleeding Cool

Yeah, we should have guessed that some guy many of us have never heard of, who has apparently done pretty close to nothing, was directing.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    Yeah, we should have guessed that some guy many of us have never heard of, who has apparently done pretty close to nothing, was directing.
    Well, it was reported plenty. And I mean plenty.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Well, it was reported plenty. And I mean plenty.
    I think most of us don't use "rumored" and "reported" as synonyms. By your latest post, it also appears that the rumor was at least somewhat incorrect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast