Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Two UK Cinemas Announced For 48fps Hobbit - And One Is Still Being Built

Administrator

Default Just Two UK Cinemas Announced For 48fps Hobbit - And One Is Still Being Built

Tickets for The Hobbit went on sale across the US last week, and we finally found out the full list of screens where it would be showing there in Peter Jackson's preferred 48fps "higher frame rate" or HFR version.

In the UK, however, tickets have been on sale for a good bit longer. All of the three main chains have shifted a good number of tickets. But none of them have announced any 48fps screenings at all.

In fact, the only people to have announced HFR screenings in the UK are IMAX.

Announced on the IMAX blog are all of their screens to offer the service worldwide. There's one in Dublin, so my cousins are well taken care of.

And then in the UK there's the Odeon Manchester IMAX at The Printworks and the Cineworld IMAX Nottingham.

Okay, the cinema in Manchester is real... but the one in Nottingham? It's not listed on Cineworld's website. There's a "normal" set of screens, but no IMAX.

IMAX and Cineworld announced that they'd be teaming up for a new Nottingham screen back in '11. It didn't happen due to "construction difficulties." Back in the summer, Cineworld said that it was being planned again, but wouldn't be open until 2013. Now, though, it's being pushed ahead and is going to open on December 14th, with The Hobbit.

That's one day after the film opens officially in the UK, so hopefully they'll find a way to cheat the schedule and pull it forward 24 hours. Would be nice for Nottingham.

Do note that the BFI IMAX at Waterloo, which has set any number of attendance records for IMAX, as well as just generally, isn't on the list at all.

Have we heard the last of this? Are more cinemas going to be added to the HFR list as we get closer to the release? I sincerely bloody hope so.

Odeon say:
    Please note that High Frame Rate (HFR) performances of 'The Hobbit' have not been confirmed as yet. They will be available at selected cinemas, and at no additional cost. As soon as we have more information, we'll announce it in this space.
    But Vue seem a little more confused:
    Please be advised that currently, we are unaware which Vue cinemas will be showing The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey in 48 frames per second. We will not have knowledge of this information until we actually receive the copies of the film from the distributors.
    Hear that? The scraping of twigs on cold stone? That's the sound of a corporate broom, brushing you off.

I look forward to Warner Bros. actually sorting this out and giving UK cinemagoers the information they're looking for. It seems this little green island next to France (and that little bit of the next island over it... er... co-opted a while back now) aren't getting the same free flow of Hobbit information as in the rest of the world.

What did we do to deserve this? Apart from the whole Northern Ireland thing?

Very Cool

Was hoping that the Crawley Cineworld IMAX would have it

Exceedingly Cool

You know what? Most people won't want to shell out a load of money to see a "film" that looks like it's been shot on cheap video.

Cool

There is a brand new IMAX screen at the cineworld in Birmingham on broadstreet. Its up and running now so will be in time for the hobbit release, does this mean theres a chance that it might show it in 48fps ?

CB

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Watson View Post
    You know what? Most people won't want to shell out a load of money to see a "film" that looks like it's been shot on cheap video.
    That's not what any 48fps or 60fps digital video I've ever seen looks like. It doesn't look like film either, so I know where the confusion comes in, but I think people need to get over their sentimental attachment to the inferior, artefact ridden look of 24fps.

Also, there's no price premium for the HFR. It's the same price as any 3D screening.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cbwudang View Post
    There is a brand new IMAX screen at the cineworld in Birmingham on broadstreet. Its up and running now so will be in time for the hobbit release, does this mean theres a chance that it might show it in 48fps ?

CB
    I sincerely doubt it. Would have been on that list otherwise, I think.

Doesn't surprise me. They really don't want to put people off. There are enough people who will flat out refuse to see any movie in 3D, and if rumour has it that this one looks like crap, they aren't going to take the chance on it. Expect to see a HFR re-release before part 2 if the buzz ends up being good after the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    I sincerely doubt it. Would have been on that list otherwise, I think.
    Well I tweeted cineworld Sheffield and they replied
    @CineSheff: Still to be confirmed...but we have had 5 of our units upgraded to be able to
    So not out of question

I did a cursory internet search on this the other week.
    There is a cinema in Liverpool that was the only one in the UK on the list of confirmed 48fps cinemas in the UK.

Now ... it's entirely possible that I am simply mixing Liverpool and Manchester up ... because I hate both of them ... but ... y'know ... there is some possible information for you there.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Man_Moon View Post
    I did a cursory internet search on this the other week.
    There is a cinema in Liverpool that was the only one in the UK on the list of confirmed 48fps cinemas in the UK.

Now ... it's entirely possible that I am simply mixing Liverpool and Manchester up ... because I hate both of them ... but ... y'know ... there is some possible information for you there.

That wasn't a real confirmation, just hearsay. Somebody asked the staff at their local cinema and reported it to a 48fps fan site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast