Thread: Two Versions Of The Hobbit's Song Of The Lonely Mountain - Neil Finn Vs. Dwarves

Administrator

Default Two Versions Of The Hobbit's Song Of The Lonely Mountain - Neil Finn Vs. Dwarves

Both in his solo work and through the bands Split Enz and Crowded House, Neil Finn has given me more than enough sheer poppy joy to last a lifetime. For that alone I'd approve his being selected to provide the keyHobbit tune, Song of the Lonely Mountain.

His being a New Zealander makes a lot of sense too. Peter Jackson certainly likes to support his country and countrymen.

You can preview Finn's tune courtesy of Rolling Stone right now. It seems pretty much in keeping with the various Lord of the Rings themes, but I do like it that bit more. Not vintage Finn, maybe, but not anything like as hard going as Enya's May It Be.

But this song doesn't just play over the end credits - the original, root version is performed by dwarves, in the film. Check out that version here, in an excerpt of an old trailer.

Consultant of Cool

I prefer the dwarven version, simply because it sounds better in the lower register. There are so very few songs anymore that take advantage of a good deep baritone...

Zen Master of Cool

You can never go wrong with a Neil Finn song.

Consultant of Cool Cunty Bollocks's Avatar

Both versions sound good.

Both versions sound good, sure ... but the Dwarf version, with that bass, that presence ... it's ... quite moving.