Thread: Four Years Of Backstory Will Separate Transformers 4 From The Last One

Administrator

Default Four Years Of Backstory Will Separate Transformers 4 From The Last One

This is going to be the second time this week I've shared a link to TMZ, but at least they're being better behaved this time. Michael Bay called in to take part in their TMZ Live show, answer a few tabloid-y questions and share just a little bit of new Transformers 4 info.

The most interesting piece, by a long chalk, was Bay's indication of one way that the new episode will give us a new beginning while still standing alongside the series so far.

Here's Bay:
    The movie is going to continue 4 years on from the attack on Chicago which was in the last movie. So it's going still to have the same lineage but going in a full, new, different direction and it actually feels really natural how it is going in that direction.
    Sounds like the attack on Chicago is an important date in the Transformers calendar, and now, we'll be operating in a world that has to recover from that carnage - cue the 'post 9/11' subtext? Or maybe not. At least we know some time will have passed and, later, when we start to get more info, this could prove illuminating.

Okay, maybe it won't. But in a world where the eight year gap with The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises launched a thousand headlines, I considered this at least a half as interesting. At least on a purely numerical basis.

It's almost amazing to hear Bay talking about plot points and direction. Not that I expect that to translate into the actual film. If anything it will be the 2 minute exposition at the start of the film to explain why you shouldn't question how everything is different.
    Surgeon General Warning! Sigs are bad for your health!

I'd rather Bay be seperated from Transformers 4
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Banned

"story" and "Transformers movies" don't go together

I'm hoping Chicago will be the new Autobot City.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthEwok View Post
    "story" and "Transformers movies" don't go together
    Yep. But hasn't it always been a tad optimistic to think they would/should?

Spectacularly transforms scenery into rubble = does what it says on the label.

Cheers
    "You might think that... I couldn't possibly comment..."

I actually kind of like the 3rd movie. Get rid of the lame comedy bits (the bane of all the movies, honestly) and it's a pretty kick-ass action movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    I actually kind of like the 3rd movie. Get rid of the lame comedy bits (the bane of all the movies, honestly) and it's a pretty kick-ass action movie.
    not surprising seeing as it's arguably the better of the 3... but that's not saying much
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Trans4mers: Four years after taking the blame for the destruction of Chicago, Optimus Prime has secluded himself to the eastern wing of Cybertron. When a new threat emerges, an upbeat young police officer (Mark Wahlberg) must convince Optimus to come out of retirement and save the world once again. Also note that Optimus only Transforms twice in the film, remaining in the much more psychologically interesting Truck mode for many of the film's compelling dialogue scenes. The film ends with Mark Wahlberg claiming the mantle of OPTIMUS PRIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    Trans4mers: Four years after taking the blame for the destruction of Chicago, Optimus Prime has secluded himself to the eastern wing of Cybertron. When a new threat emerges, an upbeat young police officer (Mark Wahlberg) must convince Optimus to come out of retirement and save the world once again. Also note that Optimus only Transforms twice in the film, remaining in the much more psychologically interesting Truck mode for many of the film's compelling dialogue scenes. The film ends with Mark Wahlberg claiming the mantle of OPTIMUS PRIME.
    The last line of dialogue: "You should use your real name - Rodimus!"