Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is Brad Bird's Secretive Sci-Fi Movie About Nikola Tesla?

Administrator

Default Is Brad Bird's Secretive Sci-Fi Movie About Nikola Tesla?

Previously codenamed 1952, the upcoming sci-fi picture from Brad Bird and writers Damon Lindelof and Jeff Jensen is now said to be going by the name Tesla. As in Nikola, the inventor, engineer and physicist.

At the same time, we learn that George Clooney has entered into the frame and is likely to take the lead role of "a man who meets aliens on Earth."

Could the film actually be about Tesla? I'll make a sketchy case, if I may. My Exhibit A is comprised of a pair of photos.

[caption id="attachment_204853" align="aligncenter" width="435" caption="George Clooney"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_204854" align="aligncenter" width="400" caption="Nikola Tesla"][/caption]

Separated at birth... by 105 years. But if I were casting Nikola Tesla in a tentpole movie today, I know who I'd go to first.

Perhaps more compelling is Exhibit B. You see, Tesla spoke about receiving communications from Mars. He apparently built something called a Magnifying Transmitter at Colorado Springs and he picked up a repeating signal. It's a matter of record that he recorded and was interested in something.

But then there's the often loopy-loo myths that grew out of this.Tim Swartz' book The Lost Journals of Nikola Tesla seems to be the source of many stories. UFO buffs have taken Tesla to heart, for ure, and he's become a recurring part of their lore.

As such, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him at the heart of Bird's film.

Nor would I mind. Sounds like there are plenty of fun possibilities here.

And that's my shot in the dark. Will Disney get around to releasing more solid information any time soon? Probably not. Will more details leak? You betcha.

Way Cool

So I guess this means he's out of the running for Star Wars?

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    But if I were casting Nikola Tesla in a tentpole movie today, I know who I'd go to first.
    Wait, you built it up and then didn't say. Who would your go-to guy be?
    "Walking bones!"

Way Cool

I thought that we were all ok to say that the film was NOT about an alien encounter (see the correction here : Lindelof-Bird Project Details [CORRECTION] -- Vulture ).
    Anyway, the life of Tesla is full of intersting stories (he did provoke an earthquake in new york, after all).
    (and, by the way, back in the early 90's, Terry Gilliam was trying to direct a film about Nikola Tesla)

As fn as the mythological scifi Testla is, I would be just as happy with a straight up biopic. Even that recent Men Who Built America on History Channel and its short segment on Testla was pretty stunning.

Though of they wanna delve into some conspiracy fiction and get all crazy, that could be neat too. Hopefully not too farsical. What we know of Testla's actual history is interesting and crazy enough, you really son't need to add a buncha stuff.

Meanwhile, Matt Fraction's Five Fists of Science with Testla and Twain was a pretty amazing comic that does.

Dean of Cool University CammyKnoxville's Avatar

Only Bowie as Tesla, and that's final.

Consultant of Cool

No movie with a script by Damon Lindelof, and that's final.
    AndrewMTC and Victorian Squid like this.

Dean of Cool University Victorian Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The G View Post
    No movie with a script by Damon Lindelof, and that's final.
    Agreed, he is the worst. After listening to all the commentaries and watching the film numerous times, I'm pretty convinced he's the reason Ridley Scott's Prometheus was so underwhelming in comparison to some of his other sci fi movies. (He was also terribly unlikable in his commentary, which didn't help my assessment of his "talents".)

Consultant of Cool

My only problem with this is that Tesla died in 1943. Which is 9 years before 1952. So unless it's Tesla arriving back on Earth in '52 or some strangeness like that, I'm deciding not to put much stock in the "codenames".

(Besides, if I'm gonna see Tesla in a movie, I'd really kinda rather it be because somebody decided to do an Atomic Robo movie.)

Captain Cool

^Beat me to it! I'm all for an Atomic Robo movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast