Thread: Lucasfilm Say Pre-Production On Episode 7 Is Beginning, Confirm Writer

Administrator

Default Lucasfilm Say Pre-Production On Episode 7 Is Beginning, Confirm Writer

Here's tonight's official statement from Lucasfilm:
    As pre-production of Star Wars: Episode VII begins, Lucasfilm has confirmed that award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay for the new Star Wars film. As revealed in the ongoing video series posted here on StarWars.com, Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas have begun story conferences with Arndt. Arndt won an Academy Award? for Best Original Screenplay for writing Little Miss Sunshine (2006), and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for writing Toy Story 3 (2010).
    Well, they didn't reveal that story conferences had started with Arndt, just that they had started with someone, but okay, let them downplay the leak.

Do they really mean that pre-production is beginning? As in sets are being designed and readied and casting is in full swing and all that stuff?

And if so, does this mean we're going to get a director named soon too? They can't possibly have one in place already... can they?

Dean of Cool University Gabriel's Avatar

From THR:
    Lucasfilm Confirms Michael Arndt to Write 'Star Wars: Episode VII'
    Quote Originally Posted by Borys Kit
    A day after THR reported that Michael Arndt has been working with Lucasfilm for several months on a treatment for the new Star Wars movie, Lucasfilm has confirmed that the Toy Story 3 scribe will write the screenplay for Episode VII.

Arndt had written a 40- to 50-page treatment that will bring the saga of the Skywalkers, the Force-imbued family comprising Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader and twins Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia Organa, to a close in a new trilogy. The story is said to focus on a new generation of heroes and would feature appearances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their beloved characters from the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sources have said not to discount the possibility that a number of characters from previous Star Wars films could reappear even the dead Jedis, who have a habit of showing up in spirit form.

The next step for Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy, who is overseeing the production of the new movies for Disney, is to hire a director. One name popping up consistently amongst insiders is Brad Bird, though insiders say no choice has been made and Bird already is working on another top-secret sci-fi project for the studio.

Arndt, repped by Verve, is described as a huge Star Wars fan and well-versed in the lore of the mythology. He won an Oscar for his script for Little Miss Sunshine and was nominated for his work on Toy Story 3, helping make the Pixar movie the most emotional of the three. He also co-wrote the screenplay for the upcoming Hunger Games sequel Catching Fire.

Zen Master of Cool

The screen writer for Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3. Talks with the director of Safety Not Guaranteed. Next it will be rumors of a deal with the special FX guys from The Science of Sleep. These are some bizarre choices for a big scifi film.
    Last edited by smokescreen; 11-09-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Consultant of Cool

I'd love Brad Bird, myself.

Zen Master of Cool

Considering they've got to make an entire Star Wars movie from scratch in a year and a half, I sure hope they've started on pre-production.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Do they really mean that pre-production is beginning? As in sets are being designed and readied and casting is in full swing and all that stuff?
    Given the way that pre-production worked on the Star Wars prequels (ie. get artists to work on all sorts of concepts for locations/creatures, before picking out the ones that look cool and leaving it unitil later to worry about how to fit them into the movie), I don't think they'd need a script or even a complete story outline to get the process underway.

The documentaries on the prequel DVDs - particularly "The Beginning" - are really revealing glimpses into how the movies came together. And it's definitely not in a Pixar-style "story is king" kind of way.

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    Considering they've got to make an entire Star Wars movie from scratch in a year and a half, I sure hope they've started on pre-production.
    Two and a half years, surely?

Dean of Cool University

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    I think we're looking more and more at a winter star wars movie.

Consultant of Cool

Please, please dont let Katie Lucas be involved. Her clone wars episodes sucked donkeys balls. Not to mention how condescending and obnoxious she behaves in interviews.

Very Cool

I really hope its good. Thats all I have to say.