Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: The Real Reason Matthew Vaughn Left The X-Men Movie, According To Mark Millar

  1. #21
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    All the stuff you lob around about Millar's private life (his marriage, new partner etc).
    I don't lob it around, it's used in context and IIRC in response to another poster's direct question.

    I don't post about anything that Millar hasn't already (in many cases incorrectly) shoved into the public domain such as his 'private' life.

    Millar's publicly posted or tweeted far more offensive things about himself and his wife and eldest daughter than I've brought up here because there's no reason to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    If there's no publicly accessible sources that we can use to verify what you say, why should we take your comments at face value when you clearly have an anti-Mark-Millar agenda?
    I've never asked you to, when did I post something anti-Millar that I didn't reference or even link to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    (I should stress, I'm no fan of Millar and dislike his approach of pretending that talking total bollocks is somehow "marketing", but even at that I don't see how telling unverified tales about his private life is of benefit to anyone...)
    Millar tells lies publically about his private life, when appropriate to the discussion I present the facts. BTW Millar's lies about his private life are designed to benefit him, do you think they should be allowed to stand unchallenged?

    Mike

  2. #22
    Bleeding Cool Fysh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Somewhere north of Hadrian's Wall...
    Posts
    5,192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Daniels View Post
    I don't lob it around, it's used in context and IIRC in response to another poster's direct question.

    I don't post about anything that Millar hasn't already (in many cases incorrectly) shoved into the public domain such as his 'private' life.

    I've never asked you to, when did I post something anti-Millar that I didn't reference or even link to?


    Millar tells lies publically about his private life, when appropriate to the discussion I present the facts. BTW Millar's lies about his private life are designed to benefit him, do you think they should be allowed to stand unchallenged?

    Mike
    You've brought up his divorce and new partner/new child before in much greater detail than any of the press information I could find at the time has mentioned (eg while his newborn kid was mentioned, I've yet to see any publication talk about his previous relationship or how it ended). The context in which you bring it up is usually that he's lying/misrepresenting his lifestyle (IIRC your suggestion was that he was only claiming to have religious values because it suited him in terms of prevailing political/business developments at the time), so I'd quite like to see some sources before deciding whether or not it's believable.

    More importantly, though, Mike - if you're so bloody concerned that Millar's lies are being allowed to "stand unchallenged", you need to take 2 things into account:
    1) There's an important legal difference between a lie and a factually incorrect statement, so you better have actual legally-acceptable proof that shows Millar knew he was being deceptive at the time he made these statements you're so incensed about, and
    2) If you actually want to achieve something beyond being Yet Another Internet MessageBoard Keyboard Warrior With No Discernible Impact On The Outside World, you should focus your time and attention on contacting the Scottish press who publish these stories, along with the politicians and businesspeople involved to make them aware of the situation. I'm reasonably confident that "Material written by some borderline-mental individual posts on the BC message board" is not one of the high-profile information sources used by either Scottish politicians nor businesspeople in general when deciding whether to do business with someone.
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

  3. #23
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Coke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCheese View Post
    Or Pygmalion with guns.
    That's actually not a bad high concept pitch.
    I liked it the first time, when it was called Nikita.

  4. #24
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    You've brought up his divorce and new partner/new child before in much greater detail than any of the press information I could find at the time has mentioned (eg while his newborn kid was mentioned, I've yet to see any publication talk about his previous relationship or how it ended). The context in which you bring it up is usually that he's lying/misrepresenting his lifestyle
    What's your point Fysh?

    You're going all over the place making it hard to address your points. I'd need to see the posts you're referring to though I'd be surprised if their content wasn't in context with the article I'm posting on or previous comments.

    All information I've brought up is public. thanks to Millar, the difference is that I'm collating it in my responses. And yes I'll grant you there's a likelihood that there's a prejudice in adding the facts or statements together but it's one I actually try to avoid in light of the fervour with which my posts will be attacked.

    I'm pretty sure that when Millar in response to accusations of Homophobia stated he'd won a GLADD award I posted facts supporting the case that he had not, likewise when he claimed to have been attacked in the press by the Catholic Cardinal for Scotland I think I pointed out that at the time the Cardinal was dead and the only reference in the press was to a 'spokesman' responding to a question.

    Here's Millar in a recent interview from 3 weeks ago talking about Supercrooks:
    Mark Millar Interview: Supercrooks, Kick-Ass 2 & More
    "My wife’ll say things to me like, we’ve just had a new baby as well, she’ll say ‘That was a fourteen hour meeting, are you not exhausted?’

    Here's Millar tweeting last week:
    Twitter / mrmarkmillar: Someone just pointed out that ...
    "Someone just pointed out that I'm the only practicing Catholic in the entire UK or US comic-book scene. What the fuck? Surely not??"
    Now as a fellow Irish person Fysh, I hope you don't think I'm prejudiced in assuming that you know or have a good idea (regardless of your personal beliefs) what "Wife" means to a practicing Catholic (and no he hasn't married the girlfriend).

    Millar refers to someone who is not his wife as his "wife" publicly in interviews that his actual wife and teenage daughter and their family can read (and he does this regularly) and then publicly re-iterates that he's a practicing Catholic.

    Now this is personal information typical of Millar that I haven't posted because of it's personal nature (despite Millar making it very very public) and not relevant to board discussions, however you asked me specifically for sources of Millar "lying/misrepresenting his lifestyle (IIRC your suggestion was that he was only claiming to have religious values because it suited him so I'd quite like to see some sources before deciding whether or not it's believable." so I hope these examples and links from just the last 3 weeks will suffice.

    Millar usually pimps his catholicism when selling American Jesus so expect to see that ramped up in the Scottish press as the Scottish funded Film edges toward reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    (IIRC your suggestion was that he was only claiming to have religious values because it suited him in terms of prevailing political/business developments at the time), so I'd quite like to see some sources before deciding whether or not it's believable.
    See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    More importantly, though, Mike - if you're so bloody concerned that Millar's lies are being allowed to "stand unchallenged", you need to take 2 things into account:
    1) There's an important legal difference between a lie and a factually incorrect statement, so you better have actual legally-acceptable proof that shows Millar knew he was being deceptive at the time he made these statements you're so incensed about, and
    Seriously Fysh? Not bothered. Without all the 'blah' I'm willing to accept you started this discussion with a 'factually inaccurate statement' about me rather than a lie.

    I make more of an effort to support and even source my posts than 90% of the folks that respond to them. I don't need legally acceptable proof (though I'd guess in the example above it'd be easy enough to prove that Millar's actual wife didn't 'just have a baby' and that Catholic doctrine has quite specific guidelines as to who a PRACTICING CATHOLIC'S "wife" actually is).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
    2) If you actually want to achieve something beyond being Yet Another Internet MessageBoard Keyboard Warrior With No Discernible Impact On The Outside World, you should focus your time and attention on contacting the Scottish press who publish these stories, along with the politicians and businesspeople involved to make them aware of the situation. I'm reasonably confident that "Material written by some borderline-mental individual posts on the BC message board" is not one of the high-profile information sources used by either Scottish politicians nor businesspeople in general when deciding whether to do business with someone.
    LOL.

    Mike

  5. #25
    Moderator Mad_Man_Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    /members/mad_man_moon/albums/
    Posts
    13,613

    Default

    Mike, I imagine that aa fair few people just added you to their ignore list.
    However, perhaps we're missing something in your tone ... a few of us are meeting at the pub, why not come down?

  6. #26
    Zen Master of Cool Dusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greener pastures than yours.
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    This just in:

    Mark Millar issued a statement today that he was begged to write the screenplays for Avengers 2 and Star Wars EP 7 at the insistance of Joss Whedon and George Lucas, but declined because he was made an offer that he couldn't refuse by a major studio to write, direct, and star in a major creator owned movie franchise that everybody agrees will be a multiple Oscar winner and cinematic game changer.

    Damn that Mark Millar. How does he do it? He's extraordinary, and I actually get to breathe the same air he does! We all do!!
    "As THE bona fide forum superstar sensation, I feel I have a responsibility that must never be neglected!" - Dusty

    "A forum superstar sensation like Dusty is a true hero in every sense of the word!" - Stan Lee

    "Dusty is such a forum superstar sensation that even I should listen and learn from him!" Stephen Hawking

    "A forum superstar sensation like Dusty is the stuff dreams are made of!" Oprah Winfrey

  7. #27
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Mike, I may be in the minority, but I always appreciate your efforts to balance out Millar's spin.

    Truth be told, it's the only reason I even click on Millar threads anymore.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12,185

    Default

    Doesn't Millar rhyme with malarkey?

  9. #29
    Very Cool
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I love matthew vaughn for bringing my favourite movie in the world, Kick Ass to the big screen. And I really wish he was directing the next X-Men as I was a huge fan of First Class.

  10. #30
    Wrote the Book on Cool
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintinator View Post
    I love matthew vaughn for bringing my favourite movie in the world, Kick Ass to the big screen. And I really wish he was directing the next X-Men as I was a huge fan of First Class.
    Go to bed, Mark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •