Thread: Star Wars Report: Lucas Met With Director Colin Trevorrow About Directing Episode Seven

Administrator

Default Star Wars Report: Lucas Met With Director Colin Trevorrow About Directing Episode Seven

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Colin Trevorrow didn't make it onto any of those lists of Ten Directors That Could Direct Star Wars Episode 7 that swarmed across the web last week. Amusingly though, he could be about to become a one-man list of The Director That Is Directing Star Wars Episode 7.

Trevorrow's first feature, Safety Not Guaranteed, was recently released on DVD and Blu-ray in the US and will hit UK cinemas this December. It's a kind of science fiction film - or at least it teases you with the possibility that it is. The story revolves around a young journalist investigating a classified ad with which an apparently eccentric, possibly very lonely young man is attempting to recruit a time travel partner. Is he just nuts?

Well, I know, because I've seen it, but I don't want to spoil the last scene. Time travel film or not, however, it's got a good number of light laughs and some lovely little bits of character business. It's certainly a good picture and I think it will develop a fair cult following as the years roll on.

But good picture or not, most would consider Safety Not Guaranteed to be a rather odd precursor to taking up the reigns of Star Wars, the most successful film franchise of all time. Nonetheless, Celebuzz are saying Trevorrow has made some real fans at Lucasfilm.

According to the report, Trevorrow met with Lucas himself several months ago to talk about the Star Wars directing job. Kathleen Kennedy, who Lucas has himself implied will actually choose the Episode 7 director, isn't mentioned in the report at all. I guess she's just not razzle-dazzle marquee stuff.

I have to say, Trevorrow sounds much more of a likely candidate to me than Matthew Vaughn. The other non-Lucas directors to get a pass at Star Wars were Irving Kershner on Empire and Richard Marquand on Jedi, neither of them plucked from the upward curve of a career in tentpoles and fanboy-pleasing blockbusters.

I'm inclined to believe Trevorrow did indeed take the meeting. I'm also inclined to believe he's not the only one to have done so.

Okay - so who's next to drop a name? I'm looking at you, Hollywood Reporter...

Is it any stranger than the director of American Graffiti doing Star Wars in the first place?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kalicki View Post
    Is it any stranger than the director of American Graffiti doing Star Wars in the first place?
    A little. Star Wars was not a huge behemoth at that point. Not in the way that it is now. The job here isn't selecting the director for some unknown quantity, it's selecting the director for a film that will be expected to excel in terms of technical and FX work, and bring in massive amounts at the box office.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    A little. Star Wars was not a huge behemoth at that point. Not in the way that it is now. The job here isn't selecting the director for some unknown quantity, it's selecting the director for a film that will be expected to excel in terms of technical and FX work, and bring in massive amounts at the box office.
    But being as how it's a known quantity now, with virtually no chance of failing, if he's proven to Lucas (and I guess Disney now?) that he has the technical ability, is it not then the perfect opportunity for a young director? In a way, it's not much different than the direction they went on TRON: Legacy, only with more of a safety net.

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

I just saw this movie last week. I really enjoyed it, but in a *scrappy indie* context. Pieces of it seemed borderline amateurish (e.g. shots losing focus seemingly unintentionally), but maybe that's the fault of the DP. My reaction at the end of the movie was"this is an interesting director whose career I want to follow" but not "this guy is ready for a big tent pole film".

Wrote the Book on Cool Timber-Munki's Avatar

Choosing a more 'left-field' or at least unknown director would certainly pique my interest far more than whether any of the original cast are going to appear or if it involves any of this 'Expanded Universe' gubbins or not. Lets face it, there's enough technical know-how in Lucasfilm & Disney to deal with any schoolboy technical problems a neophyte director might encounter/create.

Safety Not Guaranteed is a good low-key film that shows he has a handle on characters, and if there's anything the prequel trilogy can proves it's that characters can make or break the films.

Zen Master of Cool

I enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed, but nothing about that film suggested to me that anyone involved with its production could move up to the more high tech areas of film making. Ang Lee's bright green hulk comes to mind.