Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumour: Disney Discussing Takeover Of Hasbro Next?

Administrator

Default Rumour: Disney Discussing Takeover Of Hasbro Next?

Are the Autobots about to join the Skywalker twins, Woody Pride* and Captain America in the playpen at Disney?

This afternoon, MTV Geek published a story claiming that conversations were underway that could lead to Disney acquiring Hasbro.

They say:
    These are still just discussions at this point, but serious enough that something could be announced at any time and create ripples throughout the entertainment industry.
    But... really? Crikey. It's starting to get a bit silly now, isn't it? Is this going to end with Disney snapping up Sony's entertainment arm? They're supposedly having a hard time, and have been rumoured as looking to sell.

Let's suppose that MTV Geek aren't just having their chain pulled, then what would Disney get for their money with Hasbro?

Well, a toy company, albeit one with a truck load of IP that pack varied prospects for movie adaptation. There's Transformers and GI Joe, for sure, but there's also Nerf and Lincoln Logs.

There's actually any number of Hasbro toys already in the system, as it were, licensed out to other studios as movie options. I would imagine the appeal of a deal, from Disney's point of view, would be heavily weighted by how likely it is those rights could be recollected, or when.

For now, I think we file this under wait and see. And then, perhaps, one night soon we'll all have another "Disney surprise".

I doubt they'll ever top the last one, mind. That whole Lucasfilm affair was so seemingly preposterous I might actually still run it on April Fools Day next year.

*Woody in the Toy Story film has a surname, you know.

Consultant of Cool

I Disney buy Sonys movie making tentacle then they would get the rights to Amazing Spiderman?

Oh pretty toy . MINE - Mickey mouse. HASBRO should say yes at the first offer..

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zetomenon View Post
    I Disney buy Sonys movie making tentacle then they would get the rights to Amazing Spiderman?
    Yes, but dont hold your breath.

Dean of Cool University Drew Melbourne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Yes, but dont hold your breath.
    As big as the Avengers was, I have to believe that Avengers PLUS Spider-Man would blow the regular movie-goers' minds.

But if not, they should totally let Bosk join.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    As big as the Avengers was, I have to believe that Avengers PLUS Spider-Man would blow the regular movie-goers' minds.

But if not, they should totally let Bosk join.
    That would be insane lol. Dibs on playing spider -man

Dean of Cool University

Lucasfilm was a big shareholder in hasbro, thanks to the contracts they signed with both hasbro and galoob(which was eventually absorbed by hasbro) back in 1997.
    Assuming Lucas didn't liquidate those shares before his disney deal, I suspect Disney is now holding a stake in hasbro.

Doesn't Hasbro own ROM as well? If so, then Marvel could revive the often requested ROM, Spaceknight book should this go through.

Don't forget, Hasbro also owns Dungeons and Dragons. If this means we could finally get a proper Dungeons and Dragons film, perhaps something based on the Forgotten Realms.... that would be very good.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Exceedingly Cool

Quote Originally Posted by the_Dagman View Post
    Doesn't Hasbro own ROM as well? If so, then Marvel could revive the often requested ROM, Spaceknight book should this go through.
    Yep. Parker Brothers owns Rom, and Parker Brothers is a subsidiary of Hasbro.

I just hope that a Hasbro acquisition would not kill The Hub. Disney probably doesn't like any channel pulling away viewers from Disney XD, so The Hub could be in the crosshairs. The Hub has become a great home to the DC Animated universe along with the Dean Cain Superman; and the network has been establishing itself as a great home for 90's television reruns. I would hate to see it go as it's just starting to find its niche.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast