Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Sequel Novelist Timothy Zahn Discusses The Upcoming Movies

I don't know how 'canon' those books are, given that Zahn's book has the Emperor as this huge racist/specist? while the prequels had him surrounded by all kinds of species (esp. the blue guy with the horns).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavemold View Post
    No clue who that guy is. He would be an awesome villain?
    Check out Zahn's book Heir to the Empire - it's a really fun read and will give you a taste of Admiral Thrawn's awesomeness.

Dean of Cool University MWEDMER's Avatar

Still my favorite post movie books. I would kill to see them on film.

VP in Charge of Cool

They should do these books as CGI with original cast voices. Keep all those folks doing the Clone Wars cartoon working. Then do the new trilogy with the acutal actors in live action that takes place another twenty years after the Zahn books.

...The sad part is that, out of all the SWEU books, the "Thrawn Trilogy" - along with Dark Horse's Dark Empire minis - is the only set of Star Wars novels that deserve to be 100% in-canon sacrosanct. The sadder part is, as how Paranoidmount and the TNG creative team swiped and discarded the late Mike Ford's The Final Reflection and its significance for being the first Star Trek novel to present the Klingons are more than one-note villains, Disney will no doubt totally ignore either of these two shining moments of the SWEU, just on the two basic grounds of a) never pay royalties unless you simply can't get away without paying them, and b) never acknowledge any spinoff or non-canon material that the vast majority of the fans approved of because you'll be admitting that their opinions count and that they have some sort of say-so about what shows up on screen and in-canon. Or, in other words, it'll be Greed and Ego that'll keep the Star Wars relaunch from even *hinting* that either the Thrawn Trilogy or the two Dark Horse minis ever happened. The same sort of "not invented here" that's held back progress in both entertainment and technology for decades, natch.
    -------

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...The sad part is that, out of all the SWEU books, the "Thrawn Trilogy" - along with Dark Horse's Dark Empire minis - is the only set of Star Wars novels that deserve to be 100% in-canon sacrosanct. The sadder part is, as how Paranoidmount and the TNG creative team swiped and discarded the late Mike Ford's The Final Reflection and its significance for being the first Star Trek novel to present the Klingons are more than one-note villains, Disney will no doubt totally ignore either of these two shining moments of the SWEU, just on the two basic grounds of a) never pay royalties unless you simply can't get away without paying them, and b) never acknowledge any spinoff or non-canon material that the vast majority of the fans approved of because you'll be admitting that their opinions count and that they have some sort of say-so about what shows up on screen and in-canon. Or, in other words, it'll be Greed and Ego that'll keep the Star Wars relaunch from even *hinting* that either the Thrawn Trilogy or the two Dark Horse minis ever happened. The same sort of "not invented here" that's held back progress in both entertainment and technology for decades, natch.
    The Thrawn trilogy is, hands down, the best thing to come from the books, but some of the short story collections and a few of the X-Wing books would make good canon. Not all, by any means, but there are some good stories there.

Account Closed

I've never quite finished Zahn's full trilogy, but Heir to the Empire is quite good--- possibly better than Dark Empire. Thrawn finds a way to nullify the power of the Force and then it's game on.

Quote Originally Posted by _OM_ View Post
    ...The sad part is that, out of all the SWEU books, the "Thrawn Trilogy" - along with Dark Horse's Dark Empire minis - is the only set of Star Wars novels that deserve to be 100% in-canon sacrosanct.
    Add Michael Stackpole's X-Wing series to that, and I'd agree.
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Bleeding Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    Add Michael Stackpole's X-Wing series to that, and I'd agree.
    Yep, I'd say Zahn and Stackpole are the two best writers to look at for more Star Wars material.

On a side note, at his NYCC panel, Brian Wood said he enjoyed Stackpole's novels, and when asked if he'd include Corran Horn in his new Star Wars series, he paused for a second, and said something to the effect of "You know, I hadn't considered it before, but maybe..."
    ShadowMax: Has anyone actually verified this is the real Steve Wacker?

Me: Quick Steve, tell us something only Steve Wacker would know.

Steve Wacker: [The Marvel relaunch] secretly is a reboot.

Me: If you mean the continuity won't match up with any of the preceding issues, anyone could have predicted that.

Captain Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsfan101 View Post
    Yep, I'd say Zahn and Stackpole are the two best writers to look at for more Star Wars material.
    If we want to include comic books in that list, I like the writing of Archie Goodwin and John Jackson Miller.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast