Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Kevin Feige Confirms Marvel-Disney Animated Collaboration

Administrator

Default Kevin Feige Confirms Marvel-Disney Animated Collaboration

Unsure of what has already made its way onto the web, Kevin Feige doesn't seem confident in what he can or can't say about a Marvel-Disney animated collaboration, but he's at least copped to it that such an idea exists.

He's also given a couple of clues, however obliquely, as to what the project might entail.

Feige was speaking to Slashfilm, ostensibly about The Avengers. Late in their interview, chat comes around to the possibility of something animated from Marvel, an idea that Slashfilm recently reflected from a story I ran a few weeks back.

Here's what Feige had to say:
    Yeah, no I?m not going to be the one to say what it is, but as you might imagine when we have thousands of characters and properties and now are owned by Disney, who has the greatest animation studio on earth, there are going to be discussions...There are certainly discussions.
    Two particularly interesting pieces to that, I think.

"I'm not going to be the one to say what it is" - so it's something defined and specific, in some sense.

"Thousands of characters and properties" - so it's likely to be an adaptation, of some sort.

"Discussions" is, of course, producer speak for anything that hasn't been officially announced or doesn't have a green light. It's impossible to tell what stage the project is at, but I think we've just confirmed that the project exists in some meaningful sense.

As to why the project would be carried out with Disney and not Pixar (as if it would make any difference, but you know the fanboy mindset), Feige said:
    Well I haven?t said no to Pixar, but Pixar is clearly doing their own thing.
    Animated films take such a long time that, if the studio press ahead, I think we'll be hearing more about this one relatively soon - and then waiting around for years to get our first look at it.

Yeah, no I’m not going to be the one to say what it is, but as you might imagine when we have thousands of characters and properties and now are owned by Disney, who has the greatest animation studio on earth
    When did Disney buy Ghibli?

気持ち悪い

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    Animated films take such a long time that, if the studio press ahead, I think we'll be hearing more about this one relatively soon - and then waiting around for years to get our first look at it.
    This is true. I remember first hearing about Dreamworks' Megamind, which was called Mastermind back then, in early 2007, but didn't see any character designs until summer 2009. And then we didn't get a teaser until March 2010.

So, when we do get an announcement, we're looking at about 2 more years before we really see anything and nearly another year before we see footage.

Wrote the Book on Cool

The Punisher meets Mickey Mouse! The X-Men team up with the Mickey Mouse Club! Wolverine meets Goofy! The team ups are endless!

Power Pack... please make it Power Pack...
    jephd likes this.

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

Animated Howard the Duck!

Wrote the Book on Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Comet View Post
    Animated Howard the Duck!
    Howard meets Donald! Make it so!

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post

As to why the project would be carried out with Disney and not Pixar (as if it would make any difference, but you know the fanboy mindset), Feige said:
    Well I haven?t said no to Pixar, but Pixar is clearly doing their own thing.

Not sure who it was but somebody avengers related (quite correctly) said that any animated movies from Marvel, would be from Disney rather than Pixar because

"Pixar, at least at the moment, strictly do original concepts developed in house, not adaptations". Which sounds like a distinction that is even more valid now that Lasseter's In charge across the board.
    stress- noun \ˈstres\

The anxiety caused when a person's mind over-rides the body's natural urge to choke the living shit out of some arsehole who deserves it.

Also can I put my vote in for animated Howard. If they really need to aim it at kids maybe the "Daydreamers" cast could work.

Howard, Man-Thing, Artie, Leech and Franklin. loved that concept, shame the series didn't quite live up to it.
    Last edited by jephd; 04-26-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    stress- noun \ˈstres\

The anxiety caused when a person's mind over-rides the body's natural urge to choke the living shit out of some arsehole who deserves it.

VP in Charge of Cool bewareofgeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StarCruncher View Post
    Power Pack... please make it Power Pack...
    Or maybe Runaways?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast