Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rights Glitch: Quicksilver And Scarlet Witch Could Appear In Both Fox And Marvel Studios Movies

Robot for Front Page Blog Posts

Default Rights Glitch: Quicksilver And Scarlet Witch Could Appear In Both Fox And Marvel Studios Movies

Avengers Assemble (so titled because people were getting confused about why Diana Rigg wasn't in it - no, really) premiered in the UK last night at the Westfield shopping centre in London. Ben Mortimer of HeyUGuys was there to badger producer Kevin Feige for answers about future Marvel projects, and quite successful he was too. I really do have to emphasise the fact that it was Ben Mortimer who conducted the interview, because it provides us with a genuine - albeit flimsy - excuse to use this photo of Ben for the article.

Drink him in. This is probably a good place to mention that Ben Mortimer kept me up all night long last weekend. There were times when I wanted to quit, but Ben insisted that we get everything he wanted on camera. Perhaps we'll let you see the video some day.

There was some news I was supposed to be reporting, wasn't there? Oh yes. Feige reveals a number of tantalising bits of information in the interview, both about Avengers Assemble and future Marvel Studios projects. Most interesting of all are the rights surrounding Marvel characters Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch, the twin children of Magneto who also appear in the Avengers universe. According to Feige, both Fox and Marvel have the rights to use the characters in their franchises, since they are both X-Men and Avengers in equal measure.
    It's a little complicated, but if they wanted to use them in an X-Men movie they could, and if we wanted to use them in an Avengers movie we could.
    The sequel to X-Men: First Class is set to start filming from the beginning of 2013, and a sequel to Avengers Assemble is planned if not yet official. It would certainly be interesting if both The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were to make an appearance in both films.

Watch the video for more information about why Skrulls were not used in Avengers Assemble, as well as some hints as to when Ant Man will begin filming.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2nEz-AXmig[/youtube]

Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

That seems really weird did Marvel just put mutants and affiliated characters in the contract for the X-Men rights? I mean obviously Fox can use Deadpool but he isn't a mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by darkspark View Post
    That seems really weird did Marvel just put mutants and affiliated characters in the contract for the X-Men rights? I mean obviously Fox can use Deadpool but he isn't a mutant.
    semantics, pop culture classes him as one and could have been sold under that label
    Marvel: S-man 2099, Rocket Raccoon
    DC: Wonder Woman, Injustice, Detective Comics, Sandman Overture
    Indie: Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan, Street Fighter, SkullKickers, Fatale, Elephantmen, Afterlife of Archie, The Wicked+The Divine

The only time it would have ever made sense for either Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver to make an appearance would have been during the original Singer/Ratner(ughh) films anyway. Unless they throw out more continuity in First Class 2 or Second Class or whatever unnecessary title they attach.

That really is interesting. I imagine that would have to have been defined up front for the characters... they'd have to have explicitly said "These are characters that belong to more than one licensing group" when they made the original deal with Fox. To declare that retroactively would invite lawsuits, I'd think.

How many other Marvel characters are like that? Sandman has often been an FF villain, but I'd imagine as far as licensing goes he's squarely in the Spider-Man camp. What about Firestar? Debuted on Spidey and his Amazing Friends, appeared in X-Men for a while, and then moved to the New Warriors. Or Namor? Originally a standalone hero, then an FF villain, then spending equal time with the Avengers, and now the X-Men. We know the Skrulls are under the FF license, but what about the Kree (and by extension, Captain Marvel)? First appeared in FF, but they're much more associated with the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by darkspark View Post
    The only time it would have ever made sense for either Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver to make an appearance would have been during the original Singer/Ratner(ughh) films anyway. Unless they throw out more continuity in First Class 2 or Second Class or whatever unnecessary title they attach.
    It looked like Quicksilver did make a cameo in the Wolverine flick.

Consultant of Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Offenberg View Post
    That really is interesting. I imagine that would have to have been defined up front for the characters... they'd have to have explicitly said "These are characters that belong to more than one licensing group" when they made the original deal with Fox. To declare that retroactively would invite lawsuits, I'd think.
    A year or 2 ago, Marvel's contract with Fox regarding The X-Men was put online.The contracts, which were actually drawn up by Fox, and not Marvel, were deliberately vague and kinda one-sided regarding the characters they could use.

The contracts stated that Fox could use any X-Men character(they listed a good number of individual mutants), as well as any character associated with said X-Men that would enable them to tell the story they wanted to tell.It also stated they could use any character created before or after the contracts were drawn up.

Seeing as how Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were not directly named in the agreement, they are still owned by Marvel, but because they are characters who are closely related to the X-Men and figure into certain stories, Fox has access to them.

Viper/Madame Hydra is another character like that.She is mostly associated with Captain America and The Avengers, but at the same time, she has a history with Wolverine and the X-Men.When Captain America was filming, there were rumors that Madame Hydra would appear in the film.Also, a casting breakdown of The Wolverine was floating around last year and Viper was one of the characters included on the list.

So, that's that.Even though The Maximoffs spent most of their comic book existence as Avengers, I think we'd get more use out of them in the X-Men movies than in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.In the MCU, they would just be these 2 random superpowered characters who couldn't have their mutant origins explored, while you have the whole children of Magneto angle to explore in the X-Men.

Hannah, if this helps, in that photo Ben Mortimer looks like Boris Johnson's younger brother.

Dean of Cool University Captain Comet's Avatar

If I didn't like First Class so much I'd be mad that the X-Men and Avengers cant share a universe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast