Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ridley Scott Wants Prometheus To Get That MPAA Rating That Will "Make As Large A Box Office As Possible"

Administrator

Default Ridley Scott Wants Prometheus To Get That MPAA Rating That Will "Make As Large A Box Office As Possible"

After this morning's preview of 12 minutes of footage from Prometheus, Ridley Scott took part in a Q&A with the amassed press. Lots of interesting tidbits were chewed over, and I'm sure we'll talk about many of them here as the day winds on.

First though, here's the big, controversial bombshell that had some of the crowd surprised and, in some cases, not too pleased.

It was really the only thing to needle the audience, mind, so that's not a bad score. Everything else had the audience pretty much eating out of Ridley's hands.

Scott was asked what certification, or rating, he would want for Prometheus. Here's his answer:
    I want certification for this film that allows me to make as large a box office as possible...

The studios wrestle constantly with these ridiculous adjustments to whether it?s PG13, PG15, R, double R and it does, to a certain extent, affect the box office, which is arithmetic, which is not a cash register, it?s how they get their money back and if studios don?t get their money back we don?t have any movies.

And so it is important that films are successful and I am fully supportive of that because I?m not just a director, I?m also not stupid. I?ve been in this business long enough and to a certain extent I?m a businessman.

So when a big film fails it?s disastrous for all of us. When a big film wins it?s terrific for all of us, whether you like the film or not, it?s really cool. So the adjustment of the ratings... are inconsistent and ridiculously inconsistent, so I can start talking about films that have got PG13 this year, which are absolutely fucking ridiculous... is anyone in here from the MPA or whatever it is? ...Get your house in order.
    There were those in the audience who wanted an "It's going to be an R! Guts and gore and ladyparts!" answer, and after the Q&A, some were overheard muttering. Still, the were quickly cheered up by changing the subject to the footage we'd all seen.

Film Chronicles have the full audio of the entire Q&A up now, if you'd like to listen to it. I'll be back with more later, and a little context of how it relates to the footage.

ME!
    Consultant of Cool

The original Alien wasn't a gorefest anyway. I don't remember 100%, but from what I do remember, just change a few f-words and that would have been borderline PG-13 (if it existed at the time) already anyway.

Banned

He also indicated that there MIGHT be an UNCUT Bluray/Digital version released. Although, of course, there was no clue as to when that might be.

OK, PG-13, FINE. If that's that 20th Century Sux is demanding, I guess there's no way around that. What I'm going to do is NOT watch the lame PG-13 version they'll release in June and I wait and see WHETHER OR NOT they release an unedited R version on Bluray. If they do, I'll buy that one. But what I'm not going to do is contribute to this insane situation where studios are ruining the movies they're developing by catering to this insane culture where everything must be sanitized for an imaginary audience that is traumatized at the drop of a hat.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Qward-O View Post
    He also indicated that there MIGHT be an UNCUT Bluray/Digital version released. Although, of course, there was no clue as to when that might be.
    Not at the Q&A today he didn't. I was right there in the front row and he never said a single thing about that.

It's good to see a film-maker be honest about the thinking behind the ratings adjustments, and heartening (sort of) to see that frustration at the likes of the MPAA's ad-hoc approach to ratings is not limited to viewers. (Heartening in that film makers share our frustrations - disappointing that even those in the industry don't seem to be able to change the issue).

I'm interested in Prometheus, so I'm still probably going to see it in the cinema. I get a bit leery about the PG13-ification of films, though, because when it comes to franchises that have previously been a 15 or 18 rating dropping to a 12/PG13 for their next excursion, the trend has been for quality to drop as well. (Though obviously that's my opinion rather than an objective fact).
    When in doubt, "Try not to be a dick" is usually a good place to start.
    The infrequently-updated Euro comics thread || Small Press Reviews thread||Random Chat thread

Zen Master of Cool Harley Quinn Romance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brendon Connelly View Post
    I want certification for this film that allows me to make as large a box office as possible...
    Not surprising given that's his main reason for returning to do an Alien prequel in the first place.

Ridley Scott's comments just have been rated R by the MPAA.

Don't worry everyone. Violence doesn't matter much in the balance. Saying "Fuck" and showing naked people is much more offensive to the MPAA. (which I think is ridiculous!)

Banned

Not at the Q&A today he didn't. I was right there in the front row and he never said a single thing about that.
    I point to the following report: Prometheus footage screening and Q&A report! | Prometheus Movie News

Banned

And even if the article I reference is wrong. THERE HAD BETTER DAMN WELL BE AN UNCUT BLURAY. I'm a huge fan of Alien and, so far, prometheus looks very interesting. HOWEVER, I'm completely fed up with this PG-13 CRAP and I refuse to reward Hollywood for that kind of bullshit.

Zen Master of Cool

I think the majority of people that will see Prometheus are over 17.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast